Child Nutrition Expert Forum
HIGH white blood cell count.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HIGH white blood cell count.

OK..  I'll try to make this short.

My 6 month old son started a low grade fever on Saturday (5 days ago) & I thought it was teething.  It then went to 103.1 on Tuesday (2 days ago) & I called in ASAP & was told to wait until Wednesday since we had our well baby check anyways.  So we get there & do all the normal stuff & then then decide to check his blood & find out that this white cells are at 20, normal for him is 4.  So, that was a red flag that something was going on.  His ears looked PERFECT they said.  She tried to get a urine sample & was not successful.  

She told us to come back today to get another sample of blood & to try to get the urine sample.  We go in today & he hasn't had a fever since yesterday so the doc. we see today sees no urgency to check his blood again or get his urine.  He looks in his ears twice & then says "oh, this one is infected".  I didn't by it.  I felt like he was just saying that it was his ear to avoid other testing as we took a "reserved" appointment in his openings late last night per our regular doctor.

I feel that w/ his white blood cells being that high yesterday that an ear infection would have been evident at that time or red, something.  I've seen many ear infections & my oldest has tubes, I've never seen a fever of 103 w/ any of them & I know they can change day to day.  I just don't trust what he said.  I know I should go back, but what I'm wondering is that w/ them being crystal clear yesterday & w/ his white cell count, is this odd that all of a sudden it's infected?  He then asked me if he's been rubbing his ears, he's been rubbing the opposite side.

he just ate 5 oz. straight, babies w/ ear pain normally won't eat like that.

??