Child Nutrition Expert Forum
How can I get my son to eat more foods?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

How can I get my son to eat more foods?
I have a 23 month old son.  He's always been in the 90th + percentile for his weight.  For the past 6 months he has been extremely picky.  Lately he will only eat chicken nuggets, yogurt, fruit snacks and occasionally waffles.  He will not eat vegetables or fruit, which he used to eat. He will drink juice and only vanilla flavored milk.  If I put any food in front of him that are not those listed above, he will look at them and push them away.  He's gone to bed several times without eating dinner.  The next morning I think he will eat just about anything and he won't.  I'm worred he is not getting enough even though his weight indicates otherwise.  I have been giving him a multivitamin daily.  It has been so frustrating preparing meals for him.  I'm not sure what I should do next.  The pediatrician has recommended giving him what he likes until he is over two and then I will be able to reason with him.  I think if I give him nuggets everyday he will get sick of them and then what will he eat?  Please help!
From the weight you wrote, his weight is just above the 75th percentile and his height between the 95-90th percentile for his age. It is very frustrating when a child only wants to eat certain foods. Unfortunately some children at this age become ‘picky eaters’ and some grow out it and others do not. I have to agree with your MD to let him eat what he wants. He is getting a multi-vitamin, which is good. If his weight does not increase (as time goes on), due to his eating habits, suggest using Pediasure in place of milk for all his meals or make milkshakes (it is cheaper) – milk, fruit (banana, if he will accept it) and ice cream blended together for additional calories and protein.  The most important thing is to relax. It becomes the battle of the wits between the child and the parents. Slowly introduce new foods. Sometimes it takes 5-9 times to introduce a food to a child that they will accept, however, if they do not want it you have to not make a fuss and let it go. Hoped this helped you.