Child Nutrition Expert Forum
How can I help my child gain weight?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How can I help my child gain weight?

My daughter is 12 months old.  She was 5 lbs 15 oz at birth (term).  By six months of age she weighed 15 pounds 6 ounces.  At 9 months, she had gained less than a pound, putting her at just over 16 pounds.  At her one year check up, she again put on less than a pound, putting her at 16 pounds 15 ounces.  During the last six months, her length went from the 50 to 20 percentile.  Her weight has dropped off the chart.  She is walking, babbling, laughing.  Her development in both gross and fine motor skills is ahead of target.  She is the youngest of five children.  We eat meals together, she LOVES to eat and will eat anything put before her, although she only eats a few bites before she starts refusing.  Of note, she also has pectus excavatum although her doctor does not think that is causing any problems.  (No diagnostic testing has been done with regards to that).  She did have a normal CBC.  She has never shown any signs of a food allergy - no GI symptoms.  Her weight started dropping off when she started on solid food, though, and I'm wondering if there is a structural reason (maybe related to the pectus?) or if I just need to encourage higher calorie foods?  She eats about six to eight times a day, small portions.  Any advice would be appreciated.  
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
12 months
What is your child's height?
:  
30 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
7.7 kg (16 lbs 15 oz)