Child Nutrition Expert Forum
How can I help my son gain weight?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

How can I help my son gain weight?
My son is 12 and weighs 62 pounds, on a good day. He is ADHD and taking Adderall XR. His doctor says there is nothing wrong with him but he hasn't been able to put on any weight in the past 2 years or so. His eating habits go back and forth. Some days he can eat a lot and other days he eats very little or hides his food. For the past year he has used the Carnation Breakfasts before school, eats the school's breakfast and lunch, has a snack after school, and eats dinner. He still hasn't gained any weight.

Can you please give me any suggestions on what I can do to help him gain some weight? I've had comments made about him taking protein shakes or finding a supplement at GNC but I'm not sure what I can give him that will help. He is reasonably active (currently going out for 7th grade football), but normally he is more interested in playing video games. His football coaches are afraid to even put him on the field. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
From the measurements you wrote, his height is at the 25th percentile and weight is just below the 5th percentile for his age. You are already using the Carnation Instant Breakfast, which is great, so increase it a few more times a day -- mid day (when he is at home) and at night. Add ice cream or yogurt and frozen fruit to it and it becomes a healthy milkshake with additional calories, protein, and vitamins / minerals. Thank you for your question and hope this helped you.