Child Nutrition Expert Forum
How do I help an underweight child gain weight.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My daughter is 10 soon to be 11 and only weights 55lbs. she is a cheerleader and she does eat but not a lot at one time. Is there any supplements that she can take (example: weightgain shakes to help her gain some weight)? She looks very boney and is being made fun of at school.  
Her weight is between the 5-10th percentile and her height is just above the 25th percentile for her age. You can make milkshakes (milk, fruit, and ice cream blended) or yogurt smoothies (yogurt, fresh fruit, and frozen fruit) for additional calories and protein to grow. Suggest giving her the milkshakes or smoothies in place of milk at each meal. Some tips for additional calories: If she likes pasta, then add cheese sauces to the pasta instead of plain tomato sauce or plain pasta. Add cheese to vegetables, if she eats them. Add dry milk to oatmeal, mashed potatoes, gravies, creamed vegetables, and creamed soups (add additional protein sources to soups such as meat). Add beans to rice instead plain rice for additional protein. Hoped that helped you.
that like my daughter she eat good .have you try the milkshakes if you did can you tell me how it work so my kid could gain weight to