Child Nutrition Expert Forum
How many calories and grams of carbohydrates?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My son's bloodwork came back with high triglycerides, very high bad cholesterol and very high insulin.  He is apparently pre-diabetic, definitely insulin-resistant.  I visited pre-diabetes.com and discovered that what I always though was psoriasis on his elbows and palm is probably acanthosis nigricans. His dad has Type II diabetes so my son is predisposed to it.  We've immediately changed his diet and increased his exercise regimen.  My husband wants to put him on a diabetic diet, but as a growing teen, how do I balance his pre-diabetic state and nutritional requirements?  How many calories and carbs should he be consuming each day?  Should I give him nutritional supplements (vitamins)?

I'd love to take him to a dietician/nutritionist, but my insurance won't cover it unless he has full-blown diabetes.  What a travesty that is!  I don't have the 100 to 150 dollars to pay for it myself, so I'm reading everything I can get my hands on and asking everyone who can help for advice!  

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.....
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
14
What is your child's height?
:  
5 feet, 5 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
182
His weight is above the 95th percentile and his height is just above the 75th percentile for his age. He needs approximately 2200-2400 calories per day for growth. Suggest increasing his physical activities (play, dance, sports) to lose some weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth as you stated. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Limit high sugar drinks/snacks, and try replacing with low fat milk/yogurt or fruit/popcorn/low-fat cheese. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits, salads, and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods. Try to have the whole family eat healthy so he does not feel different. Hopefully this will help lower the blood work levels you stated. Strongly suggest seeing a Registered Dietitian (RD). Good source of information on finding a Registered Dietitian in your area is on the American Dietetic Association website, www.eatright.org. Hoped this helped you.