Child Nutrition Expert Forum
I have a garbage disposal for a son!

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

I have a garbage disposal for a son!

My son is an average 1rst grader. He loves to play outside and is very active. He is on the larger size for his age. He has a normal appitite and rarely gives us problems eating, but thats the problem! He eats everything! Small toys, pencils, garbage off the floor, he doesnt care what it is it goes in his mouth! We've caught him in the catbox at 4 yrs old! His teachers at school have been noticing this. At first we said he'll grow out of it, he hasnt. They are becoming increasingly alarmed by this behavior and its possible effects, ie lead poisoning. What could be wrong with my son and how can we fix this?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
6
What is your child's height?
:  
49 in
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
81 lbs
There is an eating disorder called 'Pica' which children and adults eat non-food objects. Pica occurs more frequently with children. The causes of Pica are unknown, however, certain situations may increase the risk to it such as nutritional deficiencies of iron or zinc (the nonfood items craved usually do not supple the minerals lacking in the body), malnutrition (seen in underdeveloped countries where people will eat clay or soil), development problems (mental disabilities, and autism) and mental health conditions (obsessive-compulsive disorder and schizophrenia). Consumption of some non-food object maybe harmless, however, Pica is considered a serious eating disorder that may result in serious health issues such as lead poisoning and iron deficiency anemia. I am not saying he has have Pica, but I do suggest he goes to his MD and get checked.