Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Is my baby underweight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Is my baby underweight

My 14month old baby eats a lot but weighs 9.4kg.I'm a bit worried that she looks skinny. She eats about 4 main meals and 2 snacks a day and she takes a lot of fruits too.The last time I took her to her doctor, I was told to just try to feed her more. But it just seems as if she eats the food and doesn't gain much weight.Pls could you give me ideas of foods that can help her gain weight fast.I'm really worried.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
14 months
What is your child's height?
:  
31.5inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
9.4kg
Her weight is on the 25th percentile and her height is 90th percentile for her age which indicates she is normal for her age. She is taller than her weight so she appears thinner. It is good she has a healthy appetite and eats well. Some tips for additional calories: If she likes pasta, then add meat or cheese sauces to the pasta instead of plain tomato sauce or plain pasta. Add dry milk to oatmeal, mashed potatoes, gravies, creamed vegetables, and creamed soups (add additional protein sources to soups such as meat). Use all fat dairy products and no low fat foods so she has the calories she needs. As she grows and gain weight after a few years, then you can go to lower fat dairy items. Hoped this helped you.