Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Is my baby underweigt?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Is my baby underweigt?
My 11 month old baby boy is not meeting the growth charts in terms of his height and weight. Should I be worried. he is otherwise active meeting other developmental milestones.
His weight is below the 3rd percentile and his weight is between the 10-5th percentile for his age. He is in the growth chart for his height but not weight. Genetics may play a part in his stature. Are the males in your family having small stature? His weight can be increased with additional foods. As a guideline for a 11-12 month old child should eat the following: Dairy 3 feedings a day – Milk (4oz), cheese (½ oz), yogurt (½ cup), or cottage cheese (¼ cup). Starch 4 feedings a day – Cereal (¼ cup), pasta (¼ cup), rice (¼ cup), bread (½ slice), or crackers (2). Fruits & Vegetables 4 feedings a day – Fruits (including 100% juice limited to only 4-6ozs) & Vegetables (¼ cup). Protein source 2 feedings a day – Meat or fish (1oz), egg (1), or beans (¼ cup). He should eat 3 meals and have snacks between meals using the foods above to be spread out throughout the day. Hoped this helped you.