Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Is my child eating too much

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Is my child eating too much

Is it possible for a toddler to eat too much? My son is 23 months old and has always had a voracious appetite.  His weight has always remained between the 25th and 75th percentile.  He has 4 regular meals, which include breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner.  His diet consists of fruits, veggies, meat, fish, milk, yoghurt, bread, cereals, and only occasionally juice, cookies, pizza.  He eats everything, we cannot complain about him being picky.  To the contrary, he always asks for more, even after 2 large plates.  And he just chows down the food, without barely chewing.  We are perplexed by this behavior because no one around him, at home or outside, eats in this fashion.  If we tell him, "you have had enough" or  "one piece at a time", he often starts a fit. He is otherwise a healthy kid.  We are wondering 1/if he is eating too much  2/how to get him in the habit of eating his food more slowly and chewing.  .  Thank you.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
33 in
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
25lbs
Your son's height and weight is within normal range for his age so he is not eating too much. Children are growing rapidly at this age. At about 2 years old, some children start to become picky eaters and you are very fortunate he is eating very healthy foods. Alternate fluids and food so he drinks and then has to eat food. That may slow him down. If not, then try not to make a fuse about the way he eats. You do not want it to become the battle of the wits between him and you. Remember meals need to be joyous for you and your son.