Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Lactaid usage

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Lactaid usage

Hello, I was wondering if lactaid can be harmful for children who are not confirmed lactose intolerant. I have a babysitter that is trying to give my child lactaid, and I want to know if this is harmful. He has been constipated, and has been having irregular bowel movements. So she thought he might be lactose intolerant. If it is not harmful and he still is getting his recommended daily calcium and what not, I dont see the harm. However, if there is some harm in it I want to inform her to stop immediately. Thansk
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
42 Inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
42 LBS
Lactaid is not harmful, however, it should not be used to help with constipation. You did not mention your child’s age. To help with the constipation add fiber to his diet, as age appropriate, which is whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. For whole grains, for example: oatmeal for breakfast, whole wheat breads, oatmeal cookies, bran muffins, whole-wheat pasta, and brown rice. Serve vegetables in any form, raw or cooked. Salads are great if she will eat it. You also need to increase her fluid intake with additional fiber. Fiber is great for increased bowel movements; however, it needs fluids to get through the colon. Suggest you limit bananas and fresh apples. They constipate, however, applesauce and apple / prune juice loosens stool.