Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My baby dont want to eat much. She is a failure to thrive.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

I dont know how to get my baby to eat. She eats very little. She is allergic to milk. She has Vital JR but she wont drink it anymore. She did at first and now refuses. Her doct wants to send her to a GI but I dont think that is her problem. She was born with a severe deviated nasal septum. Im wondering if this is bothering her and if this is why she wont eat. She was on Flonase for 3m then off and she started not eating. Now she is bk on it and eating a little but not enough for a continued and normal steady weight gain.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
17m
What is your child's height?
:  
31 1/4
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
19lbs 10oz
Her weight is just below the 5th percentile and her height is on the 50th percentile for her age. You stated she is allergic to milk. If she is just lactose intolerant then she can have lactaid milk, lactaid ice cream. The substitutes for dairy products are soymilk, lactaid milk (which has the lactase enzyme in it), rice milk, almond milk, soy cheese, soy yogurt, lactaid ice cream, soy ice cream, and rice ice cream. Lactase enzyme is sold in drugstores as a pill, which can be taken just as you have the dairy product so you do not have issues. Suggest for now, since she has a poor appetite, make milkshakes out of soy milk, soy yogurt (can use soy ice cream), and frozen fruit blended or lactaid milk and soy or lactaid ice cream blended which will give her extra calories, protein, vitamins and minerals to help increase her weight. Suggest giving her milkshakes at each meal. Hoped this helped you.
my daughter is nearly 4 and weighs 23lb. i have the same probs as you! iv told my little girl that she has a frog in her belly and that she needs to feed him, it has helped me get more food into her, i ask to see her froggy breathing and she lifts her top and breaths in and out so that her belly moves. this may not be any help to you but if you are anything like me youll try anything!!! its heart breaking being a mum sometimes!
good luck x