Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My child hates all food

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My child hates all food

My 14 month old is absolutely disgusted by food. He hates anything and just about everything. Even food that he used to love like oatmeal or potatoes. He refuses anything that is not completely mashed down or pureed. He refuses new food, and lately has been refusing everything. He has always been a picky eater but it has become more then just being picky. Food disgusts him, i feed him oatmeal every morning and he constantly spits and gags in disgust. He will not feed himself. He will not eat anything he has to chew. He refuses any drink other than warm milk. Will not drink out of a sippy cup. Hates any type of sweet. It has become a battle to feed my child and this is quite frustrating. His eating habits are yet to show in his weight as he is a healthy 25.6 lb baby, born at 9.1. How do i teach my child that food is good? That trying new food is fun and exciting? I'm at my wits end and have tried everything i can think of to get him to eat. What do i do next?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
14 Month
What is your child's height?
:  
2'7
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
25.6
Some children need to learn how to swallow and chew or needs help with textured foods. That would not be a reflection on parenting. Some children just do not know how to do it and need to be taught which takes time and patience. They need to learn how to chew and swallow food properly; it is not really an instinct behavior like sucking. Has he been evaluated on how to chew food? If not, then suggest getting him evaluated, by going to your MD, and start therapy so he can start to eat regular food. The most important thing is to RELAX at meals. If he will not eat a certain food the proper way, do not make a fuss over it. Suggest giving him Pediasure or make milkshakes (milk and ice cream blended) for additional calories (which will give him nutrients he needs) until he is able to chew and swallow. Hoped this helped you.