Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My child stopped eating...

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My child stopped eating...

About 4 weeks ago my child just stopped eating?  She will be 6 in two weeks and we are seriously thinking about having to take away all of her birthday plans and other stuff because she refuses to eat any thing past peanut butter and yogurt for her main meals. ( The birthday present is a trip to Disney with a special meal.)  I usually do not want to take things away especially something so special but it would not be economical for us to do this when she could not eat properly on the trip.  We have taken her to the dr.s twice and their is supposly nothing wrong with her.  Everytime she tries to put something else in her mouth like eggs, cheese, bread, pasta etc. she just starts haveing  a fit and states that she is scared that she is going to choke?   I have read about doing either therapy or just let this go because she is still getting some proteins and other stuff from what she is consuming, but I am just so overwhelmed with how long it has been and I really don't know where to go from here?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
5
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
48 lbs
Her weight is on the 90th percentile for her age. The most important aspect is to relax at meals and not to force her to eat or use punishment for not eating. Let her eat what she wants. Peanut butter sandwiches and yogurt are protein sources. If she is drinking milk, suggest making milkshakes (milk and ice cream blended) or yogurt smoothies (yogurt, fruit, and ice cream blended) in place of milk for additional calories. Suggest a daily chewable children's multi-vitamin if this eating pattern continues. Slowly introduce new foods, and if she does not want it, do not make a fuss over it. Let it go and try in a few weeks.