Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My child won't swallow meat

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My child won't swallow meat

Hello I'm a little bit frustrated.  My child has always been a trouble eater.  I wont say "picky eater" because he looks like he doesn't like food at all.  He eats because he has to, or I make him.  Everytime that he puts something in his mouth he will make this face that he really doesn't like it.  But he would start to chew.  If is meat what I'm giving him, specially chicken or pork he will chew it and chew it and keep chewing it until there's a dry paste inside his mouth and wont swallow it.  I may be a bad mother but I won't let him put it out of his mouth until is gone, because I don't want him to keep doing this.  So I itty bitty piece of chicken can take him as long as 15 minutes to chew and swallow.  This is breaking my patience because by that time we have all eaten and are ready to leave the table but he is just starting his meal.  He won't eat pasta because the same thing happens.  If it was for him he could survive in Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwiches and pancakes.   Also every time that he has eaten mashed potatoes he has puke them.  And I wait probably 4-5 months until i re-introduce them again and every time he will puke them as soon as they touch his mouth.   I don't know what to do and I'm getting to the end of my rope.  Please help.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
Almost 4
What is your child's height?
:  
3ft
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
42lbs
He may need to learn how to chew better and swallow food or needs help with textured foods. That would not be a reflection on your parenting. Some children just do not know how to do it and need to be taught. They need to learn how to chew and shallow food properly; it is not really an instinct behavior like sucking. Has he been evaluated on how to chew food or for texture issues? If not, then suggest getting him evaluated, by going to your MD, and start therapy so he can start to eat regular food.