Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My daughter continues to gain weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My daughter continues to gain weight

Hi, I am hoping to get some advice.  For the past year, I have been dealing with my daughter's weight gain.  I generally cook healthy and do not buy any junk food.  Seems as if my daughter is constantly hungry or is obsessed with food.  I encourage her to eat fruit or yogurt as snacks.  We went through a period when I began to introduce vegtables and she freaked.  She now eats them although she would rather have a bowl of rice or pasta.  She does not drink any sodas and now even takes water for lunch instead of the Juicy Juice carton she used to drink.

She is quite active has always either danced, played soccer, runs.  She currently does gymnastics twice a week for an hour, yet her weight continues to increase.  When she is done in gymnastics, she is red and very sweaty.  She is a strong girl, as her legs have muscle (I understand muscle weighs).  But the bulk of her weight is in her belly which sticks out quite far and it continues to grow.  Her waist is not visible, thus buying clothes is sometimes very difficult as pants never seem to fit.

I weigh her 2-3 times a week and depending on the weight gain, I cut down on the snacks or have her do 30 mins of walking on the treadmill.  The frustrating part is that the day I stop the strickness, she gains back the 1 or 2 pounds she may have lost plus more!  I don't know what to do, please let me know any suggestions.  Thank you.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
8
What is your child's height?
:  
4'8"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
110 lbs
From your measurements, she is above the 97th percentile for her age. It is great she eats healthy and does  activities. For her age she needs approximately 1100-1200 calories daily. Suggest increasing her physical activities (play, dance, sports) daily to maintain weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. Limit time in front of the TV/DVD or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Suggest avoid all high sugar drinks/snacks and try replacing with low fat milk/yogurt or fruit/popcorn. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods. Recommend not weighting her 2-3 times a week, once a week is more than enough. Have her help you cook simple healthy foods so she learns how to eat right and weight maintenance is a way of life so she enjoys it. Thank you for your question