Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My five year old is a little over weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Being overwieght my whole life and a daughter of diabetic parents, one juvenile and the other type 2, as well as type 2 myself.  I am very anal about my childs growth.  Well, I am noticing that over the last year her face is broader and she has gain weight.  She is 3 feet 8 inches tall, 5 years old and weighs 54lbs.  According to her pediatrician she is on the border line of being unhealthy weight and obese.

When she was born she was underweight all the way up until her kindergarten check up, now she is gaining too much weight.  Her ped doesn't seemed concern, but did run test on her thyroid and a diabetes check which came back normal.  

She is an active child and when she eats 3 meals and 2 snacks a day and when she eats her snacks are yougurt or apples.  

How many calories should she be eating a day and what are good foods for her to be eating.  

Thanks, Becky
Your daughter is slightly overweight, however, it is recommended to increase children's physical activities to loss weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. Have your child go and play outdoors, run, walk, and dance. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. I suggest you do limit high sugar drinks/snacks and replace with milk/yogurt or fruit/popcorn/cheese. High sugar drink and snacks do not give the child nutrients they need. Thank you for your question.