Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My son is always hungry and overweight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My son is always hungry and overweight

My son is always hungry, even after just eating dinner he complains he's hungry.  We keep no sweets, junk food in the house, he never has soda and has candy only once in a while at a birthday party or the like.  He's a big veggie eater, loves all kinds of veggies, he does like carbs more than he should, but eats a pretty balanced diet, just a lot of food.  I try to limit him, but he just cries and says he's hungry.  He doesn't ask for junk, he wants yogurt, or veggies, nuts, or air pop popcorn etc.

We have a family history of diabetes and Hypoglycemia and i'm worried he could be Hypoglycemic and thats why he's so hungry all the time.  Should i try him on a Hypoglycemic diet to see if that reduces his weight?

Just a side note.  We have a no screens rule on weeknights and he's limited to 2 hours each Sat and Sun.  He is active, rides his bike, plays with his friends at the park, walks to and from school which is a kilometre away.  

i don't want to be always in a power struggle over something like food with him, and he's getting older and will be able to get his own food out with friend soon, how to i turn this around?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
8
What is your child's height?
:  
4'2
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
128lbs
From your measurements, his weight is very much above the 95th percentile for his age which indicates he is overweight. It is good he is active, however, suggest other forms of exercise that children enjoy, such as dancing, playing sports or playing in a playground. Limit time in front of the TV/DVD or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. You are limiting high sugar drinks, which is great and he eats healthier foods. Recommend he puts down his fork or spoon after each bite so it slows down his eating. He can also drink water between bites also. It takes about 20 minutes for the brain to realize the stomach is full. If he is hungry, suggest 'empty' calorie foods, such as diet jello, salad without dressing, or diet drinks. Hoped this helped you.
Can you get him into a team sports? That would get him fit and make new friends. Best thing to do at this age. Also to compete, which is great for confidence etc