Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My son is underweight with severe food allergies

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My son is quite underwieght (BMI=13.2).  He is allergic to cow's milk, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, beef, and pork.  All were verified through skin and blood testing.  Any advice on foods that will help him get bigger?
His weight is below the 5th percentile for his age. Suggest giving him a protein source food at every meal, and double up on the meats he can eat. Is he able to eat soy products? Usually when someone is allergic to nuts, soy is not tolerated. If he can have soy, suggest giving him Pediasure (soy based), or soy milkshakes (soymilk, banana, strawberries or any type fruit, and soy ice cream blended) for all meals (in place any fluids at meals) for additional calories for weight gain. Hoped that helped you.