Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My son overeats, how can I help him?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My son overeats, how can I help him?

My son is 10 years old and he is big boned boy but he is heavy as well.  He has been over-weight for about 3 years.  His doctor told me on his last visit that he's very tall for his age and most likely he will end up 6'2"ish.  He also told me that his weight is higher than were it should be.  He told me not put him on diet but reduce about 100 calories from his daily calorie intake.  I have tried that and I also signed him for soccer so he could get more activity.  I have talked to him many many times about healthy eating (not losing weight) and healthy lifestyle and how the way we eat effects our health in the future.  He seems to understand and agree with me.  But he still overeats.  I try to make salads and have fruit available for him all the time but he will choose chips or gronola bars over fruit anytime.  He will eat a good portion at dinner and he always asks for more.  I have two step sons as well who are older than my son (teens) and they are very thin.  I hate to say no to him all the time in front of his new step brothers...but I don't want him to grow any bigger and have health issues in the future.  I would love to keep healthy food at home and still give him treats now and then but because we have other kids, my husband buys lots of stuff from Costco and it's availble to all of them.  How can I say no to the youngest when the other ones eat what they want and never gain a pound?
He is pretty cooperative..but I don't think he has the power to control himself yet. (god knows I don't at 42!)....what can I do to help?  How can I make him choose better?  I know the more your controled the more you want to eat.  How do I help him lose weight or at least not gain for a while without embaressing him or taking his confidence away?
Help!
Tags: son, overeat, help, Weight, how
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
5'1''
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
135 lbs
His weight and height is over the 95th percentile for his age. He is a big child for his age and it maybe genetic as you stated. It is recommended to increase children's physical activities to lose weight. Have your child go and play outdoors, run, walk, sports, and etc. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video / computer games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. I suggest you do limit high sugar drinks/snacks and replace with low-fat milk/yogurt or fresh fruit/air-popped popcorn/low-fat cheese. High sugar drink and snacks do not give the child nutrients they need. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), substitute dairy products (low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). It is great you are setting an example for your son. Hoped this helped you.
Hello again..I would like to add that I have weight issue myself as well.  I am 5'5" and 155 and I since my tewnties, I always was about 10-20 pounds overweight.  (and so does his real father).  Unfortunately, I have transfered my sweet tooth to my son and I know I am to blame for some of his weight issue, if not all.  I know the more someone is on my case about losing weight and being perfect, the more I want to eat.  I just don't do it in front of them!  I don't want to do any furthur damage and I want to help my son get interested in healthy lifestyle, not just to look better (becaus I think he is adorable!) but to feel better and avoid many health issues that comes with bad eating and excercise habits.  I do try to display better eating choices myself specially in front of him. He now eats a little bit better but just too much.  Please give me some advice.