Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My son wont chew and swallow solids

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My son wont chew and swallow solids
     my 16 month old son will not chew and swallow any foods.   Will sometimes eat mushy food or small pieces of food  but not often and eats baby food stage 1 occasionally  He is off formula but drinks soy/vanilla milk by bottle.  Pediatrician suggested O.T.    They  say its due to Textures that he wont swallow.   They play with him at therapy and tell me to do things at home because he wont let them near his mouth.   What do you think?
I agree. Some children need to learn how to swallow and chew or needs help with textured foods. Some children just do not know how to do it and need to be taught which takes time and patience. They need to learn how to chew and swallow food properly; it is not really an instinct behavior like sucking. Work with OT and continue what they want you to do at home. In time he will be eating food.