Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Never eat!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Never eat!!

My son does not like to eat since he was born.  His weight when he was born was 6.15 lbs 19.5 inch.  He is almost 20 months now and still does not want to eat. The whole week he might ate 1-2 days. I gave him predisure one bottle per day. (he dislikes them less than food.)  I talk to my PD about it.  He just said that he was fine and do not let him have anything until meals time.  Is it true that they will eat when they are hungry?  Because, I have seen him hungry but he would not want to eat what I made for him (his favorite dish) so I have to become shot cooker for him all the time.  What should I do about it problem, he has been 22-23 lbs for the last several months now.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
31
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
23.7 lbs
His weight is between the 25th and 10th percentile and his height is on the 5th percentile for his age. He is still on the growth chart which is good, however, if he has not grown, as you stated, in a few months that is a concern. If he dislikes Pediasure, then suggest giving him milkshakes (milk, ice cream, and chocolate syrup or fruit - ex: banana blended) or yogurt smoothies (yogurt, ice cream and frozen fruit blended) instead and recommend replacing milk with the milkshakes for additional calories and protein. Suggest giving his bottles and drinks at the end of his meals so hopefully he will eat food first. The most important thing is to relax at meals. It becomes the battle of the wits between the child and the parents. Forcing a child to eat will not work. Let him eat what he wants. It is ok if he does not want certain foods. Slowly introduce new foods, and if he does not want it, do not make a fuss over it. Try again in a few weeks. Sometimes it takes 5-9 times to introduce a food to a child that they will accept, however, if they do not want it, let it go. Hoped that helped you.