Child Nutrition Expert Forum
No weight gain

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

No weight gain

My son has not gained any weight for quite awhile. I want to say he stopped gaining weight around 1 1/2 years. We have asked our doctor, she says lots of butter, ice cream, those sorts of things. I add butter to EVERYTHING he eats and he isn't that much of a picky eater. He eats almost any fruit and veggie that is put in front of him. His biggest meal is usually breakfast, which a lot of the time he wants eggs, and a lot of nights he will hardly touch dinner. We have days where he won't eat hardly anything we offer, and then days he eats well. He has always been tall and skinny for his age, he was a month early, 18 in tall, and right under 5 lbs. Is there something wrong with him?! I am about to lose my mind, are there any other ways to help him gain weight?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
2
What is your child's height?
:  
32 1/2
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
23 lbs.
From your measurements, his weight is just below the 5th percentile and his height is just above the 5th percentile for his age. It is great he is not a picky eater but sounds like he is more interested in his environment then eating. Suggest giving him Pediasure or milkshakes (milk and ice cream blended) at all meals so he is getting additional calories and protein despite what other food he eats. Some tips for additional calories: If he likes pasta, then add cheese sauces to the pasta instead of plain tomato sauce or plain pasta. Add cheese to vegetables, if he eats them. Add dry milk to oatmeal, mashed potatoes, gravies, creamed vegetables, and creamed soups (add additional protein sources to soups such as meat). Add beans to rice instead plain rice for additional protein. Use all fat dairy products and no low fat foods so he has the calories he needs. The most important thing is to RELAX. Mealtimes can be a battlefield when children do not have an interest to eating healthy or eat very little. It becomes the battle of the wits between the child and the parents. Relax at meals and let him eat what he wants. The Pediasure or milkshakes will make-up the calories he needs. Here is a guideline for a 24 month old child that should eat the following: Dairy 4 feedings a day – Milk (4oz), cheese (½ oz), yogurt (½ cup), or cottage cheese (¼ cup). Starch 4 feedings a day – Cereal (¼ cup), pasta (¼ cup), rice (¼ cup), bread (½ slice), or crackers (2). Fruits & Vegetables 4 feedings a day – Fruits (including 100% juice limited to only 4-6ozs) & Vegetables (¼ cup). Protein source 2 feedings a day – Meat or fish (1oz), egg (1), or beans (¼ cup). He should eat 3 meals and have snacks between meals using the foods above to be spread out throughout the day. Hope this helped you.