Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Overweight 9-month old
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Overweight 9-month old

Hello,

My son had his 9-month check-up on Friday and he is officially overweight, and quite significantly so.  He weighs 12.3kg (27 lb) and is 73cm (29 “) long.  The doc said that it’s not a problem now because he will likely slim down over the coming months as he becomes more mobile, but she said that we should be aware of it and act to prevent it becoming a problem.  She recommended that we take him off formula and switch to half-fat cow’s milk and that we work on upping his food intake, particularly veg and fruit.  I think he has definitely been drinking too much formula (he’s still waking for multiple feeds during the night) and he has been very slow to take to solids, but I was kind of surprised that she would suggest switching to cow’s milk since normally that’s strongly advised against before age 1 and similarly half-fat milk is normally not recommended before age 2.  

I feel like I have to trust that our paed knows best, but it's hard not to question her recommendations when they seem to go against the normal advice.

I hope his weight will just rectify itself as people keep saying, but I can’t help but be a bit worried about it after reading online about research that seems to suggest that overweight babies and babies that gain weight too quickly during the first few months are more likely to become overweight adults.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
9 months
What is your child's height?
:  
29"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
27lb