Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Problem Eater

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Problem Eater

My son was a normal eater, he used to eat everything, vegetables, fruits etc. He started to get more picky with food around 18 months. He is 24 months old. He is not willing to try new foods, he only wants to eat his favorite foods such spaguetty and soup. He does not like beef or chicken.  Well what is worrying me in the last couple weeks is that he would not chew or swallow his food. He would suck (like a pacifiier) on the food in his mouth and leave it there for over 20 minutes, then sometimes he will swallow his food if I trick him by telling him to swallow the food and I will give him water. Sometimes he spit out the food in his mouth. He would not eat normal like he used to. I am really worry and meal times are like a long nightmare. It usually takes him a long time for him to finish his food, and then starts crying because he wants to get down from his high chair. My concern is that he doesn't chew and only keeps the food in his mouth. He was not like that at all. I am desperate, I don't know what to do.....

He was always had a trouble chewing, I have to cosntantly remind him......(but now is worst)

Before it was like he would chew but swallow now is neither.

He still drinks milk, milkshakes, soup...but the chewing part really worries me...PLEASE HELP!
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
3 ft 1 inc
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
39
If he is having problems with chewing on all foods, then suggest he gets evaluated on his chewing and swallowing abilities. Some children may need to be taught how to chew / swallow. Try to relax at meals and just give him the foods he wants for now.