Child Nutrition Expert Forum
REFUSAL TO EAT

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

REFUSAL TO EAT

My son refuses to eat, and I'm worried about his mental and physical development.  He will go a whole week drinking nothing but Pediasure at home (for Breakfast, lunch and dinner on the weekends).  During the week, he will eat lunch at the daycare (I'm told sometimes a lot, sometimes very little).  The only solid food he will take in (when he's in the mood) is cookies and chicken nuggets, and on occassion some crackers and cheese.  I see other children eating well, and even snacking (which he doesn't want to do).  On one occassion we were going to a BBQ, and he was extremely ravenous. He was begging to eat and I was so excited about it, but when we arrived,he saw some of his little friends and immediately rushed to play with them. While he was playing I fixed him a plate but when I told him it was ready he told me he wasn't hungry! He didn't eat anything at all but only drank a water and one juice box (for the whole time we were there).  Help please, what am I doing wrong?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
3
What is your child's height?
:  
35.3 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
30 lbs
His weight is between 50-25th perentile and his height is on the 5th percentile for his age. He has a good weight considering he mainly drinks Pediasure. it is frustrating when your child has no interest in food and rather explore their world. Suggest blending ice cream to his Pediasure for additional calories and protein. To ‘broaden his tastes’ is to engage him in the kitchen more. Children love to be a part of making food. Have him help you with preparation of food, making milkshakes, and setting the table. Hopefully this will increase his interest in other types of food. The most important thing is to RELAX. It becomes the battle of the wits between the child and the parents. Let him eat what he wants. Slowly introduce new foods, and if he does not want it, do not make a fuss over it. Let it go.