Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Transitioning from BF

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Transitioning from BF

My 10mo old son has been exclusively breastfed. He's just started solids last month, previously refusing baby food. Now, he eats mashed table food. Due to my medical condition, I must wean him immediately so I can begin taking my medication- methotrexate. However, he won't take a paci (there goes the comfort sucking!). He won't take a bottle. I can get him to drink soy milk from a sippy cup, but not formula. He doesn't like goat's milk, either. I don't feel comfortable giving him cow's milk due to the prevalence of allergies in the other children...as per his pediatrician's advice. I've tried dipping the artificial nipples in sugar water- nope! I've tried expressing breast milk to get him used to the fake nipple- no way! We've tried multiple formulas, but since he won't take them, I don't know what to do! At his last appointment, he was in the 90% for height and weight. Since soy, cow, and goat's milk are all out of the question, what can I give him? Is there a formula that tastes similar to breast milk? I can't just express the milk for him and he needs to eat something! Thanks for your input.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
Since he is 10 months old and will take fluids from a sippy cup; suggest giving him all fluids from the sippy cup and not trying to use a bottle. Soy milk is fine to give him at that age and plus you can give him yogurt and cottage cheese as a substitute for the formula. At that age you can start with finger foods and he can feed himself with his fingers, too. Here are some Guidelines for what an 8-12 month old child should eat daily: Breast-milk or Formula (6-8oz) 3-5 feedings a day (you can substitute soy milk instead & use the sippy cup), Dairy 1 serving a day – cheese (1/2 oz) or yogurt (1/2 cup). Starch 2 feedings a day – Infant Cereal (2-4 Tbsp), bread (1/2 slice), crackers (2), or pasta (3-4 Tbsp). Fruits or Vegetables 1-2 feedings a day – (3-4 Tbsp). Meat 2 feedings a day – 3-4 Tbsp) or beans (1/4 cup). This food should be feed 3 meals a day with snacks between the meals. Hoped this helped you.