Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Two years old and very underweight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Two years old and very underweight

My daughter turns two in two weeks, and since she was 9 months old she hasn't gained a pound.  Her pediatrician has been constantly telling us to give her high calorie foods, butter, gravy, pediasure.  I've been trying to do that, but lately I've discovered that she just plain doesn't eat.  I'm at the end of my rope.  She's been seeing a pediatric gastroenterologist, but she prescribed an antihestimene (sorry about spelling) to help her get an appetite.  It worked for the first two days until she refused to take the medicine anymore.  Tonight she literally spit it out in my face!  She can literally wear the same clothes she wore a year ago.  I don't know what else to do, or where else to take her.  I just want her to be healthy, and grow at a normal pace.  I don't want her to have any disadvantage in life, but I feel like if she doesn't get any bigger, she's going to be set back.  I really need help.  Thank you.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
2
What is your child's height?
:  
33 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
21lbs
From your measurements, her weight is below the 5th percentile and her height is at the 25th percentile for her age. It can be frustrating when your child does not eat well. Is she able to chew and swallow regular food? You did not mention that. Some children just do not know how to do it and need to be taught. They need to learn how to chew and swallow food properly; it is not really an instinct behavior like sucking. If she is having difficulty, suggest having her evaluated. If she is drinking milk, recommend giving her milkshakes (milk and ice cream blended) and/or  yogurt smoothies (yogurt, ice cream, and fruit blended) in place of milk at meals and snacks for calories and protein. Have you tried chewable children vitamins? They look like ‘gummie bears’ so child think it is candy, however, they are a multi-vitamin for children. Give to her daily due to her eating habits. Engage her in helping you in the kitchen. At 2 years old they can put the napkins and spoons on the table when you are setting it. Have her put the ice cream in the blender when you make the milkshakes. Sometimes engaging children with food will help increase their intake of food. The most important thing is to relax at meals. It is frustrating and it becomes the battle of the wits between your child and you. Forcing a child to eat will not work. Let her eat what she wants even if it is not nutritional sound. It is ok if she does not want certain foods. Hoped this helped you.