Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Underweight 11 year old how to gain weight?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My son is 11 years old 137cm tall and 28kgs and was a premature baby by 7 weeks so was born 4lb15. He did however gain weight and at one point looked like a normal chubby baby. As soon as he started to crawl and walk he got really skinny. He had nephrotic syndrome but is in remission for that. He has always been a good eater and presently eats more than my husband at tea time. When he does get hungry he gets really cranky and feels sick so needs to eat straight away. He is a very sporty kid trains in BJJ and wrestling 4 times a week plus sport at school. Obviously BJJ and wrestling are weight orientated sports and he never has anyone in his age/weight category so battles with kids at least 10kg heavier. His 9 year old brother weighs 30kg so is already heavier. I was a very small child myself and put it down to metabolism and genetics but he is starting to look withdrawn in the face his arms and legs are toothpicks. You can feel all the little lumps (dr said glands) in his neck. I have been to the doc who said milkshakes with raw egg. He gets two rounds of sandwiches for lunch at school yogurt for morning tea plus money to buy from canteen if he is still hungry. Milkshake with 2 raw eggs, 2 tablespoons wheat germ, 2 tablespoons powdered milk, two tablespoons natural protein, 3 tablespoons yogurt, a bit of milk and fruit. This is what he has for breakfast everyday plus more food if he is hungry. From one year to the next he just doesn't seem to gain any weight other than what he would for growing bones. He gets the flu and gastro more than his brother and seems to not be able to recover as quickly as his brother. Advise on what I should do next would be great. I am keeping a diary of daily weights so I can take it back to my dr to show no matter what i feed him he is not gaining weight but not sure if the doctor will do anything or can do anything. PLEASE HELP!
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
11
What is your child's height?
:  
137cm
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
28kgs
Please check your last question. Thank you