CHILD NUTRITION
FORUM
Weight Gain Shakes
by cupcake6157, Feb 03, 2012
We have been through many tests and they all come back normal.  I must do something to get her calories intake higher.  I'd love to try doing it with some good tasting shakes.  Please share any resources with kid shake recipes and how many calories they contain.  Her nutritionist wants at least 1800 a day.

She doesn't care for milk unless it's really cold.
Is your child male or female?:
Female
What is your child's age?:
11
What is your child's height?:
4.1
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs):
47 lbs
Answer:
by Renee RadenbergBlank, Feb 05, 2012
Make your own milkshakes (milk, fruit, and ice cream blended) or yogurt smoothies (yogurt, fresh fruit, and frozen fruit). The calorie content is about 200-300+calories per shake, depending on the amount of ice cream and fruit. Suggest giving her the milkshakes or smoothies in place of milk at each meal so she is getting calories and protein to grow. Some additional calories tips: Make sure she is eating a protein food each meal (meat, fish, cheese, or yogurt) too. If she likes pasta, then add meat or cream sauces to the pasta instead of plain tomato sauce or plain pasta. Add dry milk to oatmeal, mashed potatoes, gravies, creamed vegetables, and creamed soups (add additional meats to soups). Use all fat dairy products and no low fat foods so she gets the calories she needs. Hoped this helped you.
Member Comments (1)