Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Why does my daughter have a large belly?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My daughter is big for her age and seems to have an endless appetite. Her belly has been large since she was little and seems to be growing as fast as the rest of her. It's very solid not mushy to the touch. Measures 36"  her belly button.  She is also passes gas more often than I've ever seen. I do mean alot!  I wanted to know if it's possible for her to have some sort of digestive problem? She is a carrier of the galactasemia gene (not sure of the spelling) but not sure if that would affect her or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's height?
:  
5'3"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
140
Would you please state your daughter's age so i am able to answer your question properly. Thank you.
My daughter is 10 years old
Both her weight and height is above the 95th percentile for her age. Her large stomach maybe due to her extra weight, however, it is recommended to increase children's physical activities (play, dance, sports) to lose weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Limit high sugar drinks/snacks, and try replacing with milk/yogurt or fruit/popcorn/low-fat cheese. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods. If she cannot smell, it may be due to her poor eating habits, however, some children are just ‘picky’ eaters. Suggest having her tested due to ‘gas’ issue. Hoped that helped you.
Hi, my daughter also has a big belly but is not overweight, she is near 100th centile height and just over 50th for weight and she is age 7 and abit, but you can see by looking at her she isn't overweight just seems to have a bloated belly, so any info on this would be great, Miki