Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Why is my 8 year old gainging weight so rapidly?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

I bought my 8 year old daughter new school clothes about a month ago. I have had to take back a skirt and 2 pair's of jeans for bigger sizes. Most of this weight is in her belly. I can tell in her arms, face, & legs also, but mostly in her face. I have had some friends of mine say she could be hitting puberty. I'm not exactly sure on her weight, I just added 5 pounds to the last time we weighed her.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bobbie
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
8
What is your child's height?
:  
4'7
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
70
Both her weight and height are just above the 95th percentile for her age. She will be going into puberty in a few years. For her age she needs approximately 2000-1800 calories daily. If you are concerned suggest increasing her physical activities (play, dance, sports) to maintain weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. Limit time in front of the TV/DVD/computer or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Suggest limiting high sugar drinks/snacks and try replacing with low fat milk/yogurt or fruit/popcorn. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods. Have her help you cook simple healthy foods so she learns how to eat right. Thank you for your question.
I checked her weight yesterday, she is actually 81 pounds.
My child was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes but recently she has been gaining weight. She does take insulin and NPH. She is 6