Child Nutrition Expert Forum
binges

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

binges

My 3 year old grandson eats extremely well during the day, 3 balanced meals plus 3 to 4 snacks during the day.  Snacks consist mostly of fruit, cheese and crackers, an occasional candy.  He has a very healthy appetite and is not overweight.  In the middle of the night he will get up and go to the kitchen and raid the cabinets or fridge or freezer.  He will eat frozen orange juice, ice cream, cheese, cereal, candy, fruit.  I have tried putting things out of his reach but he gets a chair and climbs onto the counters to get in the cabinets for the food, he will also use the chair to get the things in the fridge that are too high to reach.  I have talked to my pediatrician about this but have gotten no response as to why or how to stop this.  In fact I got the impression that I should not worry about it but it just does not seem right to me
Tags: Eating
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
32"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
34 lbs
He is within normal range of weight and height for his age. Suggest giving him more food at each meal and at snacks, especially the nighttime snack (maybe ice cream). Hopefully that will decrease the night food attacks.