Child Nutrition Expert Forum
child won't eat hardly anything, or try new foods

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My daughter only eats french toast and sausage, chicken strips, toast, and yogurt.  Snacks like prezels, cheetos..., she won't try new foods and won't eat any fruits or vegetables.  I don't know what to do to change this, me Dr. says she will grow out of this, but I feel like she would have done that already,and am afraid it will turn into an eating disorder.  What can I do to change her eating habits?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
5
What is your child's height?
:  
42 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
36-38 lbs
Her weight is over the 95th percentile and her height is on the 75th percentile for his age. You are correct. If your measurements are correct then her weight is just below the 75th percentile and her height is below the 5th percentile for her age. Some of the food she likes are nutritious, such as yogurt, chicken and French toast (has egg in it). It is frustration when your child is not interested in fruits and vegetables. Since she likes yogurt, you can make yogurt smoothies with fruit (yogurt, frozen fruit, and milk blended). Suggest a daily children’s chewable multi-vitamin for vitamins and minerals she is not consuming at her meals. Important piece is to relax at meals and let her eat what she wants. Try introducing new foods. Sometimes it takes 5-9 times to introduce a food that she will accept, however, if she do not want it you have to not make a fuss and let it go. Give her the food she likes. Hoped this helped you