Child Nutrition Expert Forum
eating

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

eating
My sister breastfeeds her children & refuses to offer them rice cereal or baby food while they are infants.  Her oldest is 6 years old and still refuses to eat anything but mcdonalds chicken nuggets and junk food.  He gags when trying food and really has an emotional aversion to food.   He has worked with a food specialist and is no better.  He now has pneumonia and is not hungry for anything.  I am worried and don't know how to help.  Her 4 year old is a picky eater but no where near as bad as her oldest.  She has a 3 year who is a normal eater and an 8 month old who is strictly breastfed and I am worried he may end up hating food too.  
There is a school of thought that it is okay to breastfeed children up to a 9 months to a year old without any baby food and then go straight to finger foods. Similar to what was done years back before we had jarred baby food. Children grow normal because breast milk gives them what they need as long as the mother takes in the needed calories / nutrients to breast feed. I have not heard of any relationship between breastfeed children and picky eaters. As far as children who are picky eaters, recommend they drink nutrient dense drinks, such as Pedisure or Carnation Instant Breakfast drink instead milk and engage them in helping in the kitchen. Children love to cook.  Have them help with preparing foods (depending on the age) and setting the table. The most important thing is to relax. Mealtimes can be a battlefield when children do not have an interest to eating healthy or eat very little. It becomes the battle of the wits between the child and the parents. Let them eat what they want. Slowly introduce new foods, and if they do not want it, do not make a fuss over it. Let it go and enjoy the meal. The nutrient dense drinks will give them the nutrition they need to grow. Hope this helped you.
Have you spoken to your sister about the eating issues and how about her husband, whilst the Breast feeding is good after 6 months the children should start cereal and some fruit , by 9months some finger foods introduced, At least the 6year old will eat Chicken nuggetts and there is nourishment there, ,and as he is 6 ask him what he would like to eat, if he is sick he wont eat much till he is better, it sounds as if your sister could do with some help with the feeding of her children if the presant food specialist isnt working she should saee her Doctor for further evaluations of the 6 year olds health.
Her husband won't say anything about what she does bc he figures she is their mother and must know what is best for them.  My sister thinks the youngest baby doesn't like food  and spits it out.  but all babies have to learn to eat and spit out their food in the beginning while they learn to push it back into their mouths and swallow it.  i will tell her to see the pediatrician.