Child Nutrition Expert Forum
he will not eat

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

he will not eat

My six year old son has a very small diet, the only things he will eat is fries to go (microwave) bread with jam, or rice krispies with no milk. Nothing else will pass his lips without him heaving. He does not eat any fruit, veg or meat at all, he wont eat sweets, cakes or any puddings. He used to eat some chocolate but has stopped eating that as well, he has never lost any weight and seems to be growing fine although he is very pale. The doctors have told me that as he has not lost weight and is growing normally just to keep giving him what he likes, but iam very worried this can not be good for his health, iam am worried he ends up with brittle bones or muscle problems. Please can some one give any suggestions,  ive tried to involve him in the cooking and preperation of food, but smells and textures make him sick and he refuses to help.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
six
What is your child's height?
:  
about 4 ft
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
56lbs
His weight is between the 90-75th percentile and his height is on the 90th percentile for his age which indicates he is normal. He has to eating some foods to be on the Growth chart that high. I agree with your MD to give him the foods he likes, however, slowly introduce new foods, and if he does not want it, do not make a fuss over it. Let it go and enjoy the meal. Try again in a few months. Sometimes it takes 5-9 times to introduce a food to a child that they will accept the new food. Suggest giving him a chewable children’s daily multi-vitamin for vitamins and minerals he is not consuming.