Child Nutrition Expert Forum
hiding food
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

hiding food

My 6 year old daughter has been overweight since age 4. She has seen her doctor & a dietitian regarding her weight, I have kept food journals, we have changed the way our family eats dinner together & the food we eat, we have significantly increased the amount of outdoor family activity. She continues to have a huge appetite and gains weight.  She is also on the soccer and basketball team and takes a tumbling class -- all of which she enjoys & is not forced into.  She swims about 5 times a week - I take her after work whenever she asks to go.  I am at a loss as how to help her with her weight.  She has been tested for medical causes.

I allow her a slice of pizza and cake at a birthday party, special occasion, etc. so she won't feel different or feel that she cannot ever have party food.   Lately she has been shoving food into her mouth to get another slice, another bite, etc.  Yesterday I walked into her room and she threw something in a drawer.  Turnns out she had taken candy out of the garbage that her brother had thrown away (it was his that he got from a party).  She was trying to hide it.  I discovered a couple candy wrappers under her bed.  We eat family style, per her dr's suggestion, so she can see there is always food available and she can learn how to serve herself.  We don't deny her food, we just simply don't have much of the bad stuff available.

What can I do to stop her fom feeling she has to hide food while at the same exact time help her love herself & the body she has while trying to keep her weight steady so she can be a healthy girl?  She is very outgoing, has a lot of friends and is a bit strong willed.  She is also so happy, loves school, loves playing, etc.  I don't want to take away any of that joy she has.

Thank you
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's height?
:  
48in
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
77lbs