Child Nutrition Expert Forum
low weight gain

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

low weight gain

My son was at 3.3 kg and 49 cm at birth. He is at 55 cm and 4.63 kgs now. He is only on breast milk and I want it to be that way however when i went to the doctor yesterday for his checkup i was told that he should be about 5.3 kgs by now i.e. he should have gained 2kg over birth weight and i was advised to see a lactation consultant. I am feeding him on demand and not supplementing with infant formula. He feeds approx 7-8 times a day and at night there may be a gap of 4 hours which is the maximum so far between feeds. I am taking fenugreek capsules and also eating oatmeal regularly as i was informed that may help with milk production (as i was facing difficulty earlier on). From what i can tell my milk flow seems fine to me. My question is "Do i need to see a lactation consultant because my son was on the 50th percentile and has now  dropped to the 10th percentile?"
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
2 months and 18 days
What is your child's height?
:  
55 cm
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
4.63 kg
His weight between the 10-5th percentile for his age. At his age he can feed 8-10 breast feedings (2-4oz per feed) per day (including the night) every 3-4 hours. Have you pumped to check your breast milk production? If you are not producing enough breast milk, then suggest supplement it with formula (mix together with breast milk or give as a separate bottle) so he is getting enough to gain weight and you are able to get him on a schedule of feedings of 3-4 hours between feeds. This is not a reflection on you as a person. Sometimes this happens. At 3-4 months you can start infant rice cereal (1-2 tablespoons 1-2 times a day) for additional food. Hope this helped you.