Child Nutrition Expert Forum
my baby dont eat as much

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

my baby dont eat as much

Hello everyone, my daughter is on the small side. She was born small her doctor wasn't worried because she was growing at every visit. It seems like all that changed once she was able to eat baby food. At 3 month old i found out she was allergic to rice and eggs. Now at 19 months shes 20 lbs, shes also a very picky eater. Sometimes she wants to eat breakfast sometimes she dont. She always want something to drink when she wakes up but i think that take away from her appetite in the morning. So most of the time her breakfast is at lunch time and she eats very little. This goes on with lunch and dinner, at times she skips dinner. I try to do everything for her to eat she just push it away. She drinks pediasure instead of milk, i just hope her appetite gets better. I always think she not getting enough.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
19 months
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
20 pounds
Her weight is below the 5th percentile for her age, however, if she is growing at every visit (regardless of how slow) then she is progressing along. It is frustrating when your child is a picky eater with allergies. As a guideline for a 19 month old child should eat the following: Dairy 4 feedings a day –Milk (4oz), cheese (½ oz), yogurt (½ cup), or cottage cheese (¼ cup). Starch 4 feedings a day – Cereal (¼ cup), pasta (¼ cup), bread (½ slice), or crackers (2). Fruits & Vegetables 4 feedings a day – Fruits (including 100% juice limited to only 4-6ozs) & Vegetables (¼ cup). Protein source 2 feedings a day – Meat or fish (1oz), or beans (¼ cup). She should eat 3 meals and have snacks between meals using the foods above to be spread out throughout the day. Suggest feeding her regular finger food (your food cut-up in small pieces). Make sure she is eating a protein food each meal (meat, fish, cheese, or yogurt) to help her grow. Some tips for additional calories: If he likes pasta, then add meat or cream sauces to the pasta instead of plain tomato sauce or plain pasta. Add dry milk to oatmeal, mashed potatoes, gravies, creamed vegetables, and creamed soups (add additional meats to soups). Suggest giving her the Pediasure 3 times a day and with meals/snacks. The Pediasure will give her what she needs if she is skipping meals. Hoped this helped you.