Child Nutrition Expert Forum
my son would not swallow or chew food

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

my son would not swallow or chew food

My 21 months old boy would not swallow or chew  food not even baby cereal. I have tried everything but no changes. I have been seeing a feeding therapist for some months now, I have also been seeing a GI doctor since it was affacting his growth. I am feeding him four bottles of pediasure a day. sometimes i add fruit or veggies but everything has to be in the bottle or sipy cup or else he won't drink. When i manage to get one spoon food in his mouth, he keeps it for hours and spit it out. I have tried leting friends feed him and also making him go hungry for days but none worked. Right now i am seeing a speech therapist b/c we think it is affacting his speech too. Please, i want to know if there is anyway i can teach him to chew and swallow b/c i am desperate.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
21months
What is your child's height?
:  
33 ich
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
23 lbs
His weight is just below the 10th percentile and his height is just below the 50th percentile for his age. He is still within the growth chart which is good. Some children need to learn how to swallow and chew or needs help with textured foods. That would not be a reflection on your parenting. Some children just do not know how to do it and need to be taught which takes time and patience. They need to learn how to chew and swallow food properly; it is not really an instinct behavior like sucking. The most important thing is to RELAX at meals. If he will not eat a certain food the proper way, do not make a fuss over it. Suggest adding some ice cream and fruit to the Pediasure to make a pediasure shake for additional calories (which will give him nutrients he needs) until he is able to chew and swallow.
Thank you for your answer. I feel better knowing that he is still within the growth chart. I will make the shake for him. hope it will help him gain more weigth.