Child Nutrition Expert Forum
ocd and diet

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

ocd and diet

My daughter has been diagnosed with ocd. she is currently on 20 mg of prozak and in therapy. nothing seems to be helping. I know that we are not the healthiest eaters. She is also allergic to all nuts.  I was wondering if you could recommend a certain diet book that i could use to help her. She was on a higher dose of prozak,but there were to many side affects. I really want to avoid medication as much as possible.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
12
What is your child's height?
:  
5"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
80
Sorry, there are no diet intervention with OCD. The treatment is through medication. Suggest eating healthy. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), low fat and substitute dairy products (1% milk, low fat/fat free yogurts, low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils (no nut oils), non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal) and limit ‘junk’ foods. Portion control is important and here some general tips = ½ cup for all starches and vegetables; one piece of fruit or ½ cup of small fruits; 1 cup for low fat dairy products, and only 3oz of low fat meat or protein substitution a meal (only 6ozs total a day).  Limit time in front of the TV/DVD/computer or non-active-video games. Studies have shown weight gain the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV. Help her cook simple healthy foods so she learns how to eat right. Make everything fun so she will enjoy living healthy. Suggest learning more about OCD. Hoped this helped you.