Child Nutrition Expert Forum
she's not just a picky eater.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

she's not just a picky eater.

My 2yr old daughter was born small, she was perfectly healthy just petite. but ever since she was born she never has eaten well. She would mainly pick at her food and never ever finish anything she started to eat.
Her doctor says she is fine, that it normal that between 18months and three years they don't want to eat. but to me and my mother(a nurse) this not normal. In a day she will have eaten MAX about two slices of toast and that is through out the day. I give her healthy food for her meals and fruit for her snacks but nothing ever really get touched. She not sick and looks ok but I just cant shake the feeling that it is something more than just a picky eater.
Could my gut feeling be right??
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's height?
:  
2 foot 8 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
22.5 lbs
You are not alone. A number of children in that age bracket become 'picky eaters'. Her weight is between the 5-10th percentile and her height is on the 10th percentile for her age. She is still in the growth chart, which is good and indicates she is normal.
My daughter is really picky. She never finishes anything she starts. She is very interested in everything and she will try anything, the problem is nutrition. My doc always told me when I expressed concern is that "she will eat when she is hungry". This always made me feel like they are just so "blaza" about it and I really lose sleep over it. My daughter will eat Mcdonalds nuggets and fries, which is so bad for you, but not a lot of anything else and I limit the trips to McD's.  I wish there was an answer for us mothers but I dont think there is. I think the Dr. is right, they will eat when they are ready. My daughter is a milk drinker and she is drinking whole milk, and I also give her vitamins for supplement, and she stays healthy, so I try not to fret and I also make a huge deal out of her eating anything and it seems to make her feel good and she continues to eat.  Hope we can chat back and forth. Any ideas I would love to hear them.
From the under eaters club,
That is my problem too, she will eat Mc'Ds too but not even much at that. I do give her vitamins and supplements. My mother even suggested giving her powder formula that is made for children up to the age of 3. We tried it in liquid form first to see if she would drink it and she does but to me it still is not enough. I need to see her eat food to feel better that she is eating.
Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone in this..
Is she drinking milk? If she is then replace it with your own milkshakes (milk, ice cream, and banana-if accepted blended together) or make yogurt smoothies (yogurt, fresh fruit, and frozen fruit). It is not ‘solid’ food but it gives her additional calories, protein, vitamins, and minerals for weight gain. Remember to relax at meals and just give her the foods she wants. Slowly introduce new foods. Sometimes it takes 5-9 times to introduce a food to a child that they will accept, however, if they do not want it you have to not make a fuss and let it go. Hoped this helped you.