Child Nutrition Expert Forum
under weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

under weight

My son is now 14 months old .I still give him breast milk(now a days I pump and give him).He drinks almost 24 ounces of breast milk but he doesn't like to eat solids  not even baby foods.Doctor asked me to keep on feeding solids,but he always cries it is totally frustating for him and for me,Now Doctor say he is not putting on weight and going down the graph,Now I am really worried .we eat vegetarian food +eggs and I  want menu plan and feeding schedules how to feed him all the nutrition he need.Can I still continue giving him breast milk or I need to switch to cow milk .  I am worried whether  he  is getting all the protien,fat,carb  from his milk or do I need to switch to cow milk.I am giving him 1/4 cup cereal with 2 spoons of fruit for breakfast.1/4 cup rice ,1/4 cup protien,2 tablespoons of vegetable  for lunch and same for dinner .In  between  he will drink milk.Feeding solid is a night mare but still I keep on feeding him .some time we both end up crying. Doctor wants me to give him break fast, lunch, dinner with 2 snacks between and 24 ounces of milk and I want good feeding schedule   to supply all his nutrtion.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
30 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
19lb
His weight is below the 3th percentile and just above the 25th percentile for his age. As a guideline for a 14-24 month old child should eat the following: Dairy 4 feedings a day –Milk or breast milk (4oz), cheese (½ oz), yogurt (½ cup), or cottage cheese (¼ cup). Starch 4 feedings a day – Cereal (¼ cup), pasta (¼ cup), rice (¼ cup), bread (½ slice), or crackers (2). Fruits & Vegetables 4 feedings a day – Fruits (including 100% juice limited to only 4-6ozs) & Vegetables (¼ cup). Protein source 2 feedings a day – Meat or fish (1oz), egg (1), or beans (¼ cup). He should eat 3 meals and have snacks between meals using the foods above to be spread out throughout the day. If he is having issues with eating solid foods, he may need to learn how to eat. Suggest having him evaluated.
My daughter had the same problems gaining wieght.  She is now 4 yrs, 40 inches tall and 30 lbs.  At 1 yr she was 15lbs and about 25 inches tall.  I know how hard it is to see your child not gain.  Your son does eat more that mine did at that age.  Go with your Dr's feeding schedule.  It's a good one.  I would ask to see a nutritionist because he is loosing weight.  Also look into constipation.  I didn`t know my daughter was constipated for more than a year.  She has put on 4lbs since she was medicated 3 months ago.  She is eating better and now we feel better.
P.S.  If you are not ready to stop breasmilk don`t.  Cow`s milk is good to add though as he will get whole milk with lots of fat.  I was also told to give my kid a tablespoon of olive oil mixed in with her food.  Helps weight gain and is a good fat.