Child Nutrition Expert Forum
what should i do

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

what should i do

I have noticed my daughter gaining a few extra pounds over the year. I do know this is partially due to my own fault because of my work and school schedule. I have serious concerns with it because ive noticed she has gained 8-10lbs in less than a month. I have taken all the fatty foods in the house and replaced them with healthier snacks for her to have when she gets home. She absolutely will not eat her veggies with her meal and i have portioned everything i give her to eat to be balanced. I am concerened because I know she is overweight and I do not know what else to do. With a weight gain of almost 10lbs in a month it makes me wonder if she has a medical problem. she excercises frequently and plays outdoors all the time. Any advice?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
7 & 1/2 yrs
What is your child's height?
:  
56inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
102lbs
From your measurements, both her height and weight are above the 95th percentile for her age. She has a tall statue for her age. That’s great play outside and exercises. Limit time in front of the TV/DVD or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. For her age, it is recommended to have approximately 1200 calories per day. Glad to hear you have healthy foods in the house. Suggest avoid all high sugar drinks/snacks and try replacing with low fat milk/yogurt or fruit/popcorn. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal. Recommend not weighting her 2-3 times a week, once a week is more than enough. Have her help you cook simple healthy foods so she learns how to eat right and weight maintenance is a way of life so she enjoys it. Hoped this helped you.