Child Nutrition Expert Forum
why does my baby have nasal congestion

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

why does my baby have nasal congestion

I have a 6 week old baby and about two weeks after having her home I noticed she started having a lot of nasal congestion,gas and spitting up. She has also been really fussy during the afternoon and early evening hours. I've been trying to breastfeed but haven't had enough milk to satisfy her. When she was born she had jaundice and was in the nicu for one week. They didn't let me breastfeed because they said it could make her jaundice worse. Once I was able to bring her home the doctors told me I could now breastfeed but that I should also formula feed to make sure she is getting enough fluid to keep flushing out the bilirubin. I think because I didn't breastfeed only I began to not produce enough breast milk and now I'm having a hard time getting it to come in. I would like to breastfeed only because of the problems I'm having with formula. First I had her on similac advance and she seemed to be doing fine on it in the hospital and after I had her home. After two weeks at home she started spitting up a lot and having gas and fussiness. I decided to try similac sensitive and didn't see much of a difference. Now she has been on soy formula for three days and the gas,spitting up and fussiness seem to be better but she is still very congested in her nose. Do you think this could be caused by the formula or the little bit of breast milk she is getting or could it be something totally different?
Tags: Baby
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's height?
:  
20 in
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
9 lbs 8 oz
The congestion maybe related to something different and should be checked by her MD. Suggest pumping to help get yourself to produce more breast milk if you want to breast feed. Mix the pumped breast milk with the infant formula (1/2 breast milk with 1/2 formula) so you will not have problems with her rejecting infant formula if you cannot produce breast milk at all in the future.