Children - Special Needs Community
11 month old not sitting, crawling...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

11 month old not sitting, crawling...

My 11 month old is not sitting up on her own yet.  She can not pull her self up into a sitting position nor can she sit by her self if I sit her up.  She's not crawling, walking or standing.  She does roll very well though.  She also hasn't spoken any words yet(mamma, dadda...) It's almost as if she's an eight month old baby and not on her way to a year.  She was three weeks premature, but otherwise very healthy.  She hasn't even been sick yet.  I've increased her tummy time and have been paying extra special attention to her developement but am very conserned.  Could this be a real problem?
Tags: daughter
mmm, it may be worht your while getting her assessed to see a physio. SHe may have some global delay or it may be a sign of something more serious. Take her to your peadiatrician ASAP
I am also a mother of a child like this. He is 10 months and cannot sit up by himself, cannot crawl, doesnt pull-up, doesnt hold his own bottle...etc. And I dont see him doing it any time soon. He rolls both ways very well and otherwise seems alert. We had an MRI and all they could find was "a small area of gliosis" Could any doctors out there explain? They didnt seem worried about it.....Jenlh- What does your doctor say???? Please write back....or e-mail    o2_4_you***@****
I have been worried sick.....
MY little girl was the same, she was diagnosed with hypotonia, low muscle tone, mild cerebral palsy, and her MRI showed periventricular luekomalacia. SHe has been receiving therapy since she was 6 months old, and has come a long way, now at 20 months, she can do most things. Every child is different thought and that is why it is important to go to the doc and get her looked at.
My 11 month old has just started her pysical therapy, we haven't done any test yet like an mri or anythingh.  Her doctor would prefer to waite untill her up comming appointment one month from now to see if she progresses at all.  We are more conserned about a possible gass issue or sever acid refluck that she may have because she has all ways suffered with lots of gas, and has had problems eating.  She would spit up most of her formula for about 8 months when we finally found the perfect formula for her.  Now she has difficulties eating.  She only eats some baby food if it's real liquidy.  She has a hard time with real thick foods.  She also seems to have gas pains immediately when she starts to eat.  We intend to look into that as well as the other possibilities.  Other then that, it is a mystory to me.  
Our son is similar. 3 weeks early,tough pregnancy and delivery. He is 12 months and 2 weeks. With physio and hard work he can now sit but cannot be left as if he falls over he cannot catch himself. He slumps to the right side and cannot crawl, hold bottle etc. Has your daughter other med probs? Our son has had recurrent kidney and uti infections with seizures even though they say the kidneys are clear. They say he has hypotonia. Cerebral palsy has been mentioned but finding it hard to get anyone to give a firm diagnosis. Please reply if you can!  
If your little one has low muscle tone it can affect their feeding, as their mouth and tongue muscles can take longer to mature. It can cause delays in speech too. as those muscles can be affected also. I think it may be a little negligent for your doc not to make some diagnosis, even something as simple as low muscle tone, because the sooner you start therapy, the sooner they can progress. My little one had to be taught to do everything as her brain was not sending the right messages that, the ones they naturally do. An early intervention program would be good to get her into as they have the OT, speech therapist, and physio.  The speech therapist can help you with the feeding issues.
Isthiscp- no my daughter hasn't had any UTI's or kidney infections, all though I did have a constant UTI while I was preg. the whole time- it even caused preterm labor which I receive the drug they give you to stop the labor(the one that makes you shakey (shaky))  I can't help but wonder if your son experiences some pain do to his uti and kidney issues.  If I were you, I consider finding someone who specialises in that type of thing, and have them see your son, it wouldn't hurt. Could it be possible that he continues to have a uti even slightly? does he have his urine checked constantly?
I just purchased a Bebe pod, which is a seat designed to promote your baby's sitting and developement.  It is a soft deep seat that is designed to allow his weight to support him while sitting in it safely and comfortably.  Have you tried this for him? I've only had it for a couple of days, but am hopeful.  Nastursim- I am a little conserned about low muscle tone because of how wobbally(can't spell) she is.  I was a little dissapointed that her doc, wanted to wait untill her 12month appointment (3 weeks away) not just because I want answers, but because I am very conserned that she may be in pain. Every time I sit her up, she kicks her legs out and crys like it really hurts (you know what I mean by understanding your baby's cry) I don't know if it's her back or her stomach.  I do have a slight scholiosis (again I can't spell:) but it was brought on by bad posture and pregnancy.  I have a half sister who also has scholiosis, but she has always taken very poor care of herself, and she is just my father's daughter. When I feel my daughter's spine, it seems fine to me, but what do I know? What do you think?
One perhaps crucial thing in which I forgott to mention about my 11 month old girl is that when she was born, she had to have her stomache pumped the day after her birth because she was a purpleish color and was spitting up mucas.  They thought that she may have swallowed fluids or something like that when she was born so they went ahaid and pumped her stomache.  My sister had mentioned to me when she came to visit us that day (day after birth) and felt that my daughter shouldn't be a purple color, I then proceeded to tell ask the nurse if their was something wrong.  That's when she took my daughter into the nursery.  She came back and said that yes she shouldn't be that color and they would pump her stomache.  Is there a chance that she may have been lacking the propper oxygen, and if so, can this be the problem?
my sister has a 19 month old lil girl...she doesn't walk, crawl, sit up very well, talk, has a lazy eye, and when you try to bend her legs, feet or knees you cant because they are so stiff, but she can move them on her own slightly....she is currently in speech therapy, physical therapy, and is seeing a neurologists to try and figure out what is going on with her body. oh, and she was 2 1/2 months premature as well. doctors haven't figured out anyhting yet but i thought i would share my experience with you.
do you know if she has had an mri? I'm sure that it would be on the top of her neurologists list. My daughter just had an other dr's appointment today, we are really leaning toward's a gas and acid reflucks issue which is likely causing pain preventing her to sit and eat propperly.  She just started medicine today, and we're very hopeful.  Their was some talk of possible CP, but her doc feels that her fine moter skills are very good.  An mri would tell us for sure.  Has your sister's doc considered ceberal palsy (cp) I know that it can cause the muscle often in the legs to be really stiff or flabby. It sounds like she's getting the appropiate help.  Good luck
Hi, my baby will be 1 yr old next week.  He was born three weeks early, and had acid reflux until 9 months.  He only learned to sit up if I did it for him at almost 9 months.  His pediatrician recommended early intervention at nine months.  When EI came to evaluate him, they said he has hypotonia in his trunk and hypertonia in his extremeties.  They said he has no problems socially.  A neurologist gave us the wrong blood test results and told us he has a genetic abnormality, when questioned further she was very vague but said it is not my son with those results. I took him to another neurologist, because I wanted an MRI because it is the only way to truly confirm cp. Needless to say, I was losing my mind and sleep! His MRI is in January and I am taking him to a geneticist tommorow.  About three days ago, he had a visit from his PT for the first time and that night he all of a sudden started to crawl the right way, cruise along surfaces and pull to sitting and crawling all in the same day.  So now I think my child is just slow in his motor development and due to his reflux he got no tummy time until 9 months. So, the moral for us Mommies, is to really take a deep breath and hold on to hope because miracles do happen! You are welcome to share any stories or comments. my e-mail is ***@****.  Love to all.
oops I didn't know I can't share my e-mail but please feel free to comment here!
I have 14 mth. old twins. One boy one girl.The boy will be needing a heart transplant and the muscle biopsy have come back negative the Drs. feel it happen inuteroHe does fine and is walking, he does'nt say a lot of words yet but recently had to have a G-tube for weight gain. Now his twin sister is crawling stiff, her tongue comes out of mouth a lot and is usally to left side when it does.She arches her back when taking a bottle. Seem to cough a lot sometimes chocking sound effect she also is able to say alot more words than her brother, and as far as I know has no seizure activity. She also interlocks her fingers a lot but can pick up books turn pages, plays with toys. They were delivered week 37 Drs choice not mine since I had no labor pains. But they said I had gestial diabetes although when I did the finger pokes my levels were always normal range. She also draws her hands up in what appears to be a puppy type beg at times. I have talk to the pediatrican numerous times since she was younger and she felt that some of these things  were normal for twins. Now on last visit I showed her pictures and she watched her crawl and said to call 1-800 early on but would'nt go into detail about what their for or what she feels is wrong. When I asked her she said we would give it another mth after her brothers echo of heart and talk more. He is being seen at a well known hospital in Mi at University the pediatrian is also through this hospital. But I plan on going to a Nurologist for children to have her evaluated or a second opinon since our pediatrican is being so evasive. Yes my delivery was very difficult the ob nicked the bowel, and they were delivered quickly, my son weight 5lbs.5oz, and his sister 4lbs.11oz. They had trouble during the c-section and I was hospitalize for 3 weeks with numerous problems but not sure if the trauma effected the twins. Any one who has any ideas please let me know. As I worry so much. I forgot to mention she can stand sometimes holding onto furniture when she lets go she trys to walk but I noticed her foot is a little outward and when she sits it is usally like a w postition. I'm fearful this may be cp or  some tumor could cause this. Please any info would help since I'am so worried. She does eat number 2 foods and mash potatoes, I give juice in sippy cups small amount since she sometimes seems to choke. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks So worried mom.
My little girl has a lot in common with some of yours, too. She's 14 months old and can sit briefly but often falls out of the seated position. She just doesn't seem interested in the whole idea of sitting. She also has absolutely no interest in standing, even with support. And she makes very few consonant sounds and doesn't babble much. Recently she started experiencing seizures for which she is taking medication (to halt them until we figure out why they are happening). She does roll around a lot, can hold her bottle, laughs, makes eye contact, responds to her name, knows her brothers and sister and grandparents very well and is generally a very happy girl. She had a completely normal delivery and eats well.

We are going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong but so far everything we've done has turned out normal - normal MRI, normal EEG, normal fundus exam, part of her metabolic tests have come back - also normal. We are waiting results from chromosome tests and some other metabolic tests, but because everything takes so long, I want to do everything possible as soon as possible. Any idea of what else she might need?

We are expats and are planning a trip to the US this summer to try and get (or confirm) a diagnosis - any ideas of where in the Southwest might be a good center to try? Somewhere in New Mexico/Texas/Colorado would be ideal.

Thanks! And just reading about everyone else's experience makes me feel like I'm not alone - knowing that something isn't right with my baby but not knowing what is sooooo frustrating!
The fact is... if your child is not developing the way that they should, you should insist on further tests.  In some cases it is a mild form of a brain disorder, in others it is a genetic problem (chromosome defects), in others it is a very serious condition that falls into the category of neurometabolic diseases and in others it is a global brain disorder where the brain either didn't fully develop due to whatever reason, problems during birth, illnesses after birth etc.  That is why you should never ignore something that is out of the ordinary.
If your child has difficulties eating, there might be a problem with swallowing (due to hypotonia) and there is a very real possibility that he/she might be aspirating feeds (food/drink into the lungs).
It is difficult to take the wait and see approach, but unfortunately, this is just the way it is.  It is impossible for doctors to predict how a child will respond to physical therapy.  It is impossible to predict where your child will be in say two years time.
My son suffered brain-injury due to oxygen deprevation.  He is nearly three and still doesn't have head control let alone be able to do anything a child his age can.  He has acid reflux, hates tummy time, severe hypotonia, cannot coordinate swallowing, is cortically blind and is tube fed.  He has a lot of gas and GI problems will always be part of our lives due to low muscle tone also affecting peristalsis.  
The point I am trying to make here is that you MUST insist on physical therapy from a very early age if there is any reason to believe your child may be delayed.  The diagnosis is important in some serious cases, but the truth is, sometimes there just isn't any answers.  Start treating the symptoms so long but don't hold back on treatment or rehabilitation purely because you are awaiting test results or are unsure of a diagnosis.  Valuable time is lost.
Good luck to all of you.  I know how you feel, I have been there.  I am still there and although it takes a very long time, acceptance does happen.  Remember not to treat your child any different than you would if he was "normal".  Most kiddos with CP are bright, they just have problems with the motor side of things.

Okay, I've got a question. I just had my daughter's first session of "physical therapy" and anticipated that there would be some physical manipulation of her body involved. Instead, the therapist just suggested things that I was already doing - try to get her to feed herself, try to get her to drink from a cup... etc. She has what the doctors have termed "mild hypotonia" and a diagnosis is pending although all test results have come back normal.

We are abroad, so I'm very interested in knowing what physical therapy for a mildly hypotonic infant would mean elsewhere so if she's not getting what she needs, I'll seek it out.

Thanks!
Find a neurophysio.  Nathan is severely affected but his therapy includes:
1.  swimming in heated swimmingpool
2.  rolling on gym ball
3.  hours on the floor on tummy
4.  simulated crawling
5.  repetition and routine.
she uses a lot of positive motivation.  other words, if he gets something right, he gets a treat, sort of like dog training?? I know it sounds terrible but he knows if he can hold his head up by himself for 10 counts, he gets a lick of chocolate.  He loves it.  Every few weeks she increases the counts, then he is confused for a while and very unhappy if he doesn't get his treat.  But a few days and he catches on and does the extra counts she wants him to. She cheers and shouts it is VERY noisy during a session.  the physical manipulation is passive exercises and is meant to prevent contractures by keeping the joints mobile.
Maybe find someone you click with?
thanks so much for your feedback! That is exactly what I expected and was very surprised by what actually happened. I'll keep looking!
It sounds like your daughter has hypotonia.  From all that I have read on the subject, she seems to have a lot of symptoms--the arching of the back and choking when taking a bottle, the 'W' sit, and the foods she's eating are a few.  Hope that helps.
my son is 12 months old and still hasnt been diagnosed . he can roll to one but cannot sit up as he flops over, cant pull to stand up , he hates tummy time cant lift his head up. but he is always full of smiles. he is still on baby formula and he will certain baby foods once its liquidised , he gags on thick lumpy food. genetics thinks its noonans or cfc syndrome.he has certain facial features and single crease on both hands, he is recieving physio at the moment.
He has been seen by neuroloigist....Where I live we go through Early Intervention and they give the appropraite threapy...Sometimes they don't give a diagnose till they are older...best of luck
I am so glad I found this thread! I have a 16 month old boy who has recently seen a paediatrician, following concern at his 12 month health visit.
He has been initially reffered to Physio for General Hypotonia (just pulling up to knees, not quite crawling properly - commando with one leg, Eye specialist for alternating Squint (might be related to poor muscle tone in eyes? ? ), Speech therapy (only babbles a bit, with no specific words yet), Portage (people who come out to the home ? ) , Blood Tests - for thyroid and muscle enzymes.

So as you can imagine, we have appointments coming out of our ears, and no real asnwers.

Nobody has mentionned an MRI? which I guess must mean that they don't think its neurologically related??

He is a happy child, smiley, eats and sleeps well, but I certainly wouldn't say he's bright? He can't pick a 'cat' or 'ball' picture out of a book, which I've been teaching him for weeks and weeks. I'm just concerned that with this physcial delay, is learning difficulties? Are the two related? Anyone else got similar worries?
i also have a son like that thats 19 months hes only just started to caterpillar crawl he can speak and say some words it took tons of practice to sit around he ive got simalar worries with my son partly his prob is microcephally mildly hes very quite slow also
I have a 16 months old son, diagnosed as global developmental delay. He can roll and put up his head.  He started to sit at 14 months.  He still cannot crawl and hates sitting.  THe docs suggest MRI, but we hesitate because our son had been warded once at 4 months but the docs could not find his veins to get blood.  So, we are afraid that MRI which requires sedation will make him suffer but to no avail.  Is this possible?  I need some comments and advice on MRI.
Are you sure he'll need an IV? My little girl has had two MRIs - once they gave her an IV and the other time she had oral medication combined with sleep deprivation. We didn't really find out much from the MRI - all it showed was delayed mylenization. But at least we learned that her brain was structurally normal! Sarah ended up being diagnosed with Angelman syndrome. Your son sounds like he's about where Sarah was at his age. She's 2 and still can't really crawl.

As hard as it is to go through an MRI and see your little boy putting up with a procedure, I'd go for it.
I have three kids.Two of them boys.My 7 year old has a serious uncontrolled seizures disorder.He is learning delayed by about 3 years.He has been diagnosed with mesial temporal sclerosis,Lennox gastaut syndrome,epilepsy(3 different types of seizures),ADD,has up to 20-30 seizures daily.He is being considered for surgery.He was delayed in speech until almost 4 years of age.He was is delayed in all areas.He is having developmental testing and chromosome testing done by his pediactric-neurologist.I have a 11 month old boy who seems to be delayed as well.He doesn't like to be face down at all.He doesn't roll or crawl.He was nursed until 10.5 months old so he just started holding a bottle about a month ago.He doesn't sit up on his own yet but when put into the sitting position, he scoots around the house on his butt.He had a 30 minute seizure at x-mas time and had a fever but only at 38.7.The doctor thinks that there is something more underlying this issue.He seems to be very bright and attentive to all things.He also had developmental testing done,most things look fine.Still waiting for one part of test to come back.Epilepsy runs high in my family. Therapy starts soon. Any advice for a concerned,confused mom?
Question:

My son is almost 10 months old -
He can sit on his own, babbles, says mama/dada, holds his own bottle, but he's not crawling or pulling up on his own yet. If I stand him up and put him next to the coffee table or bed side he can stand on his own, and even hold on with one arm. His pediatrician is concerned about his head size (we have big heads in both mine and my boyfriend's family) - they recently have performed an ultrasound and MRI on his head and both showed enlarged ventricles with excess fluid on the brain. She says sometimes this can be normal & they'll grow out of it, and other times it's called Hydrocephalus. We're going to see a Genetics Physician this week to see if we can actually pin point "if something is wrong" - does anyone else have similiar problems to this? I've searched all over the web for parents who have children with Hydrocephalus, but I've found nothing?
Question:

My son is almost 10 months old -
Question:

My son is almost 10 months old -
Question:

My son is almost 10 months old -
my daughter katie was 3 weeks premature, and she rolled over on time, but she is now 11 months, and still not sitting up yet.  she does not pull up, and i am starting to worry about her.  she is really alert, and she tries to sit up really hard, but she cant seem to get there yet.  she doesn't crawl, but she seems to be close to crawling, but not yet.  i dont think she is special needs, but she has really big problems on sitting up.  i am going to have her in pt soon probably.  i had another daughter that had torticolis, and she is so amazing now with all the hard work in pt.  she doesn't need it anymore.  i put her in a bumbo alot, and sit with her, and tummy time.  i am really at a loss, and not looking forward to the whole pt thing again. she is hard at feeding also.  she doesn't like finger foods yet like my other one's. and not even a tooth yet.                      
I have a 10 month old boy (No. 3) who is not sitting unaided and struggles even to sit assisted for longer than a few seconds.  I didn't really bother much up to this as I just thought he was a bit slower (and all kids develop at there own rate).  I phoned the Health Visitor today to ask about him and she came out to assess him.  He is within the normal range for everything else except his large motor development.  She's referring him to the consultant.  Is there anything I can do to help him? - he spends a lot of time rolling about and on his tummy but not much sitting up as he falls over so easily and cries like it's just too hard work for him.
My daughter as well is 11 months old and cannot sit up. crawl feed herself a cookie or hold a toy.  She smiles, follows the family with her eyes and is generally a happy girl.  She is going to physio (her second session) and has her second appointment with her pediatrition.  Ŧhey think she has low muscle tone in her trunk and arms and want her to go to sick kids hospital for a full evaluation, have early intervention at home, go to speech and swallow therapy.  I just feel that I am not ready to ring the alarm bells yet.  I still think that with some help she will catch up already in the last two months shes learned to roll over and is now lifting her head while on her belly.  She also has a startle reflex still and has trouble with the chunkier baby foods and gagging.  I think I will wait for the next docs appointment to make any decisions
No Child Left Behind requires that children in the US be identified and treated from the time of birth.  Pease contact your local School District Special Education Department and ask that your child be screened.  There is a 90 day timeline from the time that you contact the district and the evaluation is started.  This is federally mandated and at no charge to you.
i have a 17 month old baby boy who has only started to sit on his own he cant yet cralw or speak or stand by himself he is going on wed for his first appointment anyone help me
My son is 11 months old and he has similar problems. He does sit well and has for a long time but he does not move around the room or crawl. He does not feed himself food or hold a bottle. He is strong enough to support himself while standing with help but refuses to do so for more than a few seconds. He does babble and his happy. He can roll both ways but does not use this to get around the room. He has had respitory problems and may have asthma. We are growing very concerned about his delays and plan to have him checked out soon. We hope to get some answers soon though I have doubts it will be taken seriously by doctors. It took 4 months for them to finally decide that he needed to see a specialist for his breathing issues.
My ten month old son does not sit well on his own and still has diffculity holding his head still for long periods, without bobbling it. He is a twin and his twin sister can roll and scoot, loves to speak, it able to sit well on her own, but has not quite figured out how to get from a sitting positon to and lying position. the twins were born at 37 weeks and upon birth I noticed my son had an unusally long neck for a baby. My son also has the flatting in the back on his head, since his perfered positon was lying on his back..he hates laying on his tummy. Even though his fine motor skills are normal, he is behind on his gross motor. Recently he was diagnosed with farsightedness, which the doctors fell could be part of the reason for his delay in  his gross motor skills. On Friday we are having a MRI. I am praying all turns out well.
HI,
My son is 14 months old and not sitting or crawling, have had the EM/ECG which were clear.  One important question did any of you parents give your children the BCG injection?
There is a very wide range of normal for babies in development.  And sometimes things aren't as they appear.  For instance, my oldest son started walking at 10 months and literally started running the same day.  He had a very short crawling period and was steady on his feet right away.  Sounds great, right?   No.  A couple of years later it turns out he has sensory integration disorder which is a developmental delay of the nervous system.  Walking is actually easier than crawling and babies with weak core muscles will speed through it.  He met every single milestone on time or early for all areas of development including gross motor, fine motor, etc.  Yet he has this delay.  It showed up more and more as he got older.  BUT on the plus side, we started occupational therapy at 4 (which is who diagnoses sensory integration disorder) and he is doing really well.  He will be six in two days (which I can't believe) and in kindergarten and functions super.  You couldn't pick him out of a crowd most days (at 3 and 4-----  NOT the case).  

So, what would I do if I had a child that seemed very far behind-----  and these posts all sound either way outside or somewhat outside the norm------  I would seek a professional opinion.  As a poster above stated-----  in the United States---  by law----  all children that require early intervention will receive it for free.  Birth to 3 is one program and then 3 to 5 is another in which the kids would go to their local public school system for early intervention programs.  I would ask my pediatrician about how to get involved with this federal program----  it may be through the local children's hospital or through an agency like help me grow.  Then your child can be evaluated and any services that are needed can be provided.  Early intervention can do amazing things.  Good luck
My daughter sounds a lot like your son at 10 months. She is 15 months and was just found to have extreme farsightedness. She just got her glassess. We go back to the doctor in January and I know they will want to do an MRI. How did your sons turn out?
My son never had an MRI.  He was diagnosed with sensory by an occupational therapist and they go through an evaluation that involves checking all areas of sensory.  They include tactile (touch)----  which my son's was way out of wack, visual (some kids get overwhelmed by what they are seeing, my son has trouble if too much is on one sheet of paper for his school work, it involves tracking with eyes), auditory (some kids are super sensative to loud noises, some kids hear everything at the same volume----  you think they aren't listening or ignoring you because they don't respond----  but it is more that every noise in the room from the buzz of the dryer down the hall, to birds singing, to you breathing, to you talking are all the same volume to them), to vestibular and proprioceptive (movement-----  my  kid loves to bang into things to get added stimuli to himself and then he can shy away from some touch if someone tries to hug him that he doesn't know well), etc.  

But it is not usually seen on a brain scan.  Many delays are first detected by parent reports.  WAtch and moniter your daughter.  If she has difficulty with speech, hyper activity or the opposite of just sitting for long periods, reacting to normal things in odd ways, major meltdowns, wandering a room, dumping bins instead of playing with items in it, etc. then have her evaluated by an occupational therapist.  I can't say that enough.  It has helped beyond belief with my child.  Beyond belief.  

If you have any questions about sensory or anything you can do at home that might help-----  let me know.  My son had some motor planning issues and we found ways to get him to do things that took the motor planning out of the picture for example.  I'm happy to help in any way I can.  Good luck.
Oh, I'm sorry-----  I thought you were responding to my post.  Nix the above.  And much luck to you.
I have an 11 Month old daughter whao was born with Hypotonia...which is a only a symptom of a much larger problem. She, clubbing of the feet and she can not swallow properly (Dysphagia) she has very week facial muscles and can not form a smile. She has trouble sitting up and is seeing a speech therepist, PT and OT. She has been in and out of the hospital since birth but we still do not know what is causing her issues. I just want to know what the cause is and what we can do to help her have the best life possible.
My son is 11 & 1/2 months old he has been sitting on his own since about 5 &1/2 or 6 months. He didn't like tummy time until 7 months but still will not crawl, pull self up, stand or walk. When he is on his tummy he can scoot backwards,  spin in a circle, push up really far with his arms, put one or the other knee up but not push up on both at the same time, he can grab a toy in reach and tries to scoot forward to get other toys but cannot and gets frustrated. I have noticed that it is hard to bend his knees sometimes. I try and do crawling motions with him on a daily basis. He is very vocal he has been since about 3 months started saying Dada around 5 months blabs a lot at 8 &1/2 months when we ask what a cow said he would moo, Bear he would growl, horse he would blow. when he was 10 months he said Dog "Doe" whenever he sees a dog he does that.

I would like any advice out there thanks.  
lincs mom---------  I have read that children that are extremely verbal as your son is that sometimes the physical stuff is slower to come.  Clearly you have a smart little guy there!!  I'm guessing his physical will start picking up pace and you'll see a little slow down in the progression of his speech.  Is your pediatrician concerned?  Is he "low tone"?  They do physical therapy to help with that.  good luck
Thank you for your response. He is my first so I'm new at all of this. I have heard that  with being verbal. My pediatrician didn't seem concerned at his 9 month check he said wait til 12 months and see where he is at. We go in two weeks for that appointment.  I just thought for sure he would be moving by now. This weekend he did start pushing up on  both of his knees so I know it will probably happen soon. I'm just having a hard time with other people being so rude when I tel them he is almost one and not moving yet! Thanks again
My son just turned 10 months and he too will not sit up on his own or crawl. He'll stand if he holding on to something for a few seconds but then will let go. He can't push himself up and I'm freaking out because I've heard from a few people that that maybe a bad sign. Can anyone gove me advice?
My daughter sits by her self holds her own bottle pulls her self up but she doesn't take any steps. Everytime I put her infront of me and try to make her take steps she doesn't take any, I try to help her bend her knees but she just doesn't I'm worry.
My son will be 16 months old in two days.  He can't sit up by himself, crawl, hold a bottle, feed himself, talk, and slumps in his highchair.  He can sit very and rolls all over the house.  He was not premature but I had a very rough labor.  He was born with a normal weight, but immediately after birth was rushed to the NICU because his oxygen was low.  I think he suffered some brain trauma during the delivery.  He had a huge cephalhematoma because I was left to labor for so long unattended.  He spent 3.5 weeks in the NICU because the doctors wanted to monitor his oxygen and weight.  During this time he underwent genetics testing, brain ultrasounds and an EEG.  The EEG reavealed a slight slowness in his brain activity but genetics came back perfect.  Since we were discharged, he has had a MRI, has been seen by an endocrinologist, neurologist, and neurosurgeon.  The MRI showed that my son has a Type 1 Chiari malformation.  So far this is all the doctors have been able to diagnose and that was an incidental finding.  Doing my own research, I believe that he is hypotonic due to the Chiari.  Does anyone out there also have a child who has a Chiari malformation with Hypotonia?  Is there any hope for my son?  I'm so worried about his future.  Anyone have any advice or experience on this?
My DD is 14 months tomorrow. She can sit very well, but isn't crawling or saying words yet. She was diagnosed with a seizure disorder at 1 month and took phenobarbital for 10 months. The neuro now thinks she never had a seizure and it was acid reflux. She has been off the medicine for almost 4 months and is a differnet baby. When on the medicine she was a zombie and now she actually acts like a baby. We have done a MRI, CT scan, metabolic testing, and genetic testing ad all has been normal. My gut tells me the delays are due to the medicine and it's just going to take time to catch up. I will tell you our PT said there are plenty of kids that had delays has infant and toddlers and they can catch up and live a "normal" life. Basically we just have to be encouraging and do everything possible to help them and in the end it will be ok!!
My son is 1 year old .But he can"t sit on himself . If we sit him he can sit like normal.He crawls on stomach but not on knees and hands.He can stand and walk with support.We had done MRI,X ray ,blood tests and genetic test. All reports are normal.Dr says his muscles are week.Does he need Physiotherapy? Reply me as early as possible.
Hello there,

Some children have general delays whether caused by a genetics problem or are typical children with out an illness or medical problem/diagnosis.  There is a condition that is called: HYPOTONIA which is a medical term for weak or floppy muscles or Low Muscle Tone.  Typically this affects children with genetic disorders but is known to also affect children without.  When children or babies are affected by low muscle tone, the best therapies are from physiotherapists.  My son, who has Down syndrome had very minor Hypotonia at birth, but we were given instructions on all kinds of activities specific to his development and abilities from birth to present day.  A physiotherapist will work with your child to assist and help develop areas where he is weak.  Please keep in mind, that some children do not have hypotonia, and are just not ready to do some of the activities that are typical at this developmental age/stage.  While there are charts and milestones that are guidelines, keep in mind that they are just that - guidelines.  What I would be concerned with is whether your doctor feels that your son needs therapies.  I always believe, therapies benefit, and are never negative.  To put it into perspective, my own cousin did not crawl properly while he was an infant, and did not walk unassisted until he was 23 months old.  Today he is a doctor, and while he was growing up was an athlete - specifically a competitive runner!  So, not all cases are indicative of developmental delays whether physical or cognitive.
The concern additionally I would have is WHY are his muscles weak.  So long as the doctors are doing testing to rule out other medical situations, I think that physiotherapy is a good idea, but you should definitely pursue this question with your son's doctor to confirm.
In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advic
Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator e from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.
Just wanted to post my situation. You all are not alone. I have a 16 month old son that cannot hold his own bottle, sit up alone, roll over or crawl. He is still on Stage 2 & 3 Babyfood and still gags most of the time. It takes him a while to swallow and most of it ends up on his bib. He has a lot of gas and constipation.... He has very low muscle tone and has been seeing a P.T ever since he was 10 months old. He is very very behind and we have had so many tests done my head is still spinning. So far we are waiting on genetic testing and an MRI...everything else possible has already been done. My son cannot even sit in a walker without flopping forward. His Twin brother is actually very smart and crawls and does pretty much everything. They were born at 35 weeks from Twin To Twin Transfusion Syndrome and have an adjusted chart for things that he should really be doing. Please if anyone is reading this please just pray that the doctors will find out what is holding him back. All of you with similar situations DONT GIVE UP. KEEP ASKING FOR TESTING. KEEP MAKING THE APPOINTMENTS. THERE HAS TO BE A CONCLUSION TO THIS TYPE OF DELAYS.
Hello Maynard88,

I hope that you do find the answers.  How long ago did you have the genetics testing done?  Do you know what type of genetic abnormalities they are looking for?  The original testing that they do, is the common tests for Down syndrome (primarily the one genetic syndrome that is the cause of Hypotonia that your son is facing) but the other syndromes also have this as a symptom.  I feel for you with the testing because often with Genetics it can be a catch 22.  If you don't know what to test for, they can't test for it.  Kind of crazy when you think about it because when you are looking for answers, you almost need to have them first, in order to know what to test to confirm.  
At the moment your son has global delays, and yes, you are right to want answers.  At 16 months, he shouldn't be behind if his twin is excelling.  Also, I presume they have accounted his premature age for his development which is always adjusted based on the age he should be, not the age that he is.  (Yes I just re-read your post, they have done so.)
Keep on them as you are.  And as you probably know, your own research will probably help to bring to light what the situation is.  Keep reading, and researching.  You can probably provide the geneticist things to look at, if not consider.  Something that may assist you in this search, is to have both yourself and your husbands chromosomes karyotyped.  This may give the geneticist some additional clues as to what to look for, if they haven't already considered this.
I hope that you will keep us posted, it would be of great benefit for others who are reading this thread to see that there are delays, and often times there are also reasons but sometimes those reasons are not known right away.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator

I am glad i found this thread.  Though reading it brings tears to my eyes.  I am still very upset, angry and overwelmed over this entire situation.

My 16 month old son cannot sit up by himself, if we do sit him up he slouches forward or to one side.  He also does not crawl or walk and has maybe rolled over 4 times total over a vast amount of time.  Cant feed himself and has difficulty grasping toys and/or holding onto them.  He is diagnosed with a seizure disorder due to a frontal lobe thinning (whatever that means), possible acid reflux (getting tested soon), still gags on 2&3rd foods (or his tongue pushes them out).  We fight the constipation (might be due to his keppra..who knows) and the gassynes.  We have seen an early intervention team but therapy hasnt started yet.  His gross motor skills are that of a 3 month old and his fine motor skills are that of a 1 month old.

We have no answers yet or leads to follow.  But my son is a very happy boy.  Wasnt premature but was 2 weeks late.  And is very content just sitting by himself all day if you let him.  If anyone has any idea please help.  It's nice to know there are people in a similiar boat but i feel so alone.
My baby boy is 11 months old. He has rolled over only about 10 times his whole life.. and that was months ago. He cannot sit by himself unless he is slouched forward, but wen he raises his arms he tumbles over.. he definitely can't crawl or walk. Whenever I raise him up in a walking position, he just curls his legs up to his belly. I put him in a exersaucer, johnny jumper, & walker.. and doesn't move an inch in any of them. I am scheduled for an MRI on his spine, brain, and brain activity.. He has a lazy eye, does not eat very well at all.. he can barely suck a bottle nipple, its really a pain for him. Whenever he sleeps, he jerks his arms uncontrollably.. its just all signs of Cerebral Palsy.. But i think if that is what he has.. its just a MILD case. Hopefully.. but I cannot wait until his MRI results. Its been 11 Months of questions.. and i cant wait to know the answer to my sons behavior. GOD BLESS ALL BABIES LIKE THIS.. IT TRULY IS HARD TO COPE WITH YOUR OWN CHILD BEING BEHIND.
My son is 11 months old and not sitting up by himself and not crawling. He will put weight down on his legs and even take steps when in a standing position. He will also stand up to an activity table for some time. He has always been very rigid and never liked to bend. We have to put him into a sitting position (which can be difficult, because he is tough to bend into that position). He was born 8 weeks early and spent 3 weeks in the NICU. He was hospitalized for a few days when he was 6 weeks old, because he had a blocked tear duct that got infected. He had several tests while in the hospital - MRI, CT-Scan, bloodwork, x-rays, etc... they found nothing. He has been seeing an opthamologist and has 2 lazy eyes (which will probably have to be surgically corrected). We have our first neurologist appointment in September and early intervention started this month. He has limited fine motor skills and cannot feed himself any finger foods. He eats baby food just fine, but has difficulty with some of the chunkier and thicker foods.
We are hoping to get some answers from the neurologists next month.
Hello Kelly,

Without knowing the details about the testing you have had done so far, has any genetics karyotyping been done?  I know you mentioned blood-work, but having said that, it doesn't specify if any genetics analysis was done.  I know that you most likely know that when it comes to your baby boy being 8 weeks preemie, that his level of development is adjusted to his expected date of birth, not his actual date of birth.  So technically, he would be in the developmental area of approximately 9 months.  It is also very important to note that at any age, any genetic arrangement (typical or not) each baby will develop at his or her own pace.  For example, my son who has Down syndrome had met all his developmental milestones that measure on a typical baby.  He was not behind in any of his milestones.  My cousin, (who is a doctor today, and has a normal arrangement of chromosomes) didn't crawl until after 1 year of age, and also didn't walk until 23 months of age.  My husbands brother did not speak until he was over 2 years of age, closer to 3, and again, typical child.  It's hard when we focus on the charts that say, a baby/child should do this at this age, and so on.  I think, often we put a lot of stake into these charts, and we worry with good reason because we want to be able to get the right help should our child actually need assistance with development, since the earlier the better.  At the same time, being diligent with observation of our children's development to ensure we get the proper assistance should they need it, can sometimes lead to being hypervilligent and over worry, when in fact there is nothing wrong other than our child developing when they can or want to.  It's not that I don't think you should worry, I wish to put your mind at some ease that it is possible that you may not find anything other then the explanation that your son was 8 weeks premature.  In Early Intervention programs, premature babies do qualify for free developmental intervention, and it's interesting to note that in my area, my son's Early Intervention Therapist has more clients who are premature with delays then Down syndrome for example.  So, my point is to provide you with the reality that being premature is most often responsible for delays that you might otherwise think or feel might be related to something else.  I certainly hope that there isn't anything more medically serious, but even if there is, my goal is to provide you with the information that whatever the results are, the programs designed to provide Early Intervention can help a great and tremendous amount.  As I mentioned, my son's milestones have all be met thanks to the Early Intervention provided since he was 12 weeks old.

If you would like any other information regarding EI (early intervention) or developmental delays, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.  I hope that I can provide you with support and help if possible, and if you wish for it.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
my 15 months son is still not crawling or siting by self if i give him support he sites i showed him to the physio.. she said his muscles are very week and they cant give gaunrante. pls help me
My son is 9 months old, has very bad hypotonia also he has seizures... he can not hold his head up or even roll over on his own!!he has bad acid refulx! We were in the hospital a month and no one can give us answers..the doctor called about a week ago and said he's 6th chromosome was missing(or part of it was). But yet they still couldn't tell me what that meant!! If anyone is or has had a similar experience, please let me know!! I feel like he's been tested for everything and we get no where..YAHN
my granddaughter is 5 years old she can now sit and hold things for a while,she can sit up and roll from side to side now, she can not talk or walk by her self,she has said mama dada lalala she knows who we all are, and camunicates pretty good,I think.she has been diagnosed with a extra piece of 18 chrom,cannected to 11,it is so rare there is no doctumentaion on it,so they can not tell us any thing,she was 1 when we found out,oh and low muscle tone too,still I think she is very smart,the poor little thing has to work her butt off at ot and pt.its hard to explane every thing on here and tell every thing she does, and things about her,all we can do iswatch what she does every dayto see if she has done any thing different,even the littlest things are a big joy to us,She is beautiful, and happy I think she is funny and she is very happy,some day I hope she says grandma,But I do know she knows I'm grandma,If any one knows of this kind,please let me know,and I will do the same,
my baby girl is 11month old. she cant sit by herself. when i make her sit she does sit properly but again falls off. she doesnt crawl also properly. she crawls by lieing on her stomach. she is underweight doesnt have her food properly, she almost hates food. is ter any problem with my baby?
My daughter is also 10 months old.She is also not sitting by herself ,not crawling and she has very light crossed eyes.Is it a serious issue?
Do we need to go for MRI for this.She has a eye doc appointment on Thursday..
Hello Iy2010, (and Nita2785 - by the way, my son crawls this way.., and it is common to baby's who have low muscle tone.  It's called commando crawling)

I think this is a hard question simply because there are a lot of children who are just not able to meet milestones at the "typical" time frames listed by doctors etc.  What does your child's doctor say at this point?  I would hope that they are involved at this point if she is not able to sit unassisted or crawl.  Again there could be many physical reasons (not cognitive reasons) why she can't sit or crawl yet.  Her muscle tone might  be low, week, or lacking.  This condition is called hypotonia.  Floppy muscles and loose joints.  This condition can be something she has or could be because she has an associated genetic condition.
Are you located in a country (your profile doesn't say where you are from) that has Early Intervention programs/therapies?  These interventions are designed to help and assist children who are not meeting their milestones and to give them the help by using therapies such as Physio or Occupational therapy to achieve milestones.  These groups of programs also include speech therapies, sight assessments and also hearing.  Often when there are delays of some sort, others delays might need to be considered or watched for.

Is there any possibility that your daughter could have a chromosomal or genetic abnormality?  The reason I ask is often a physical delay associated with crossed eyes sometimes is related to genetic problems such as Down syndrome for example.  My son has Down sydnrome (we knew before he was born via Amnio) but at his birth, 4 different doctors denied the possibility that he had Ds by characteristics simply because children (babies with Ds) tend to look Asian due to one of their characteristics of the up-slanted eyes and I am half Chinese.  To the doctors, it was absolutely normal that our son looked somewhat Asian since his mother was 1/2.  So, without knowing where you are from or your back ground, the reason I mention this is because doctors can often miss a potential diagnosis or push a test for a diagnosis simply because the child (baby) doesn't appear to look like he or she has a genetic abnormality.

If you baby has not ever been tested for a chromosomal abnormality and you want answers, it might be something to ask your doctor to refer you to a genetics doctor.  The thing is this, if indeed your daughter has a delay of some sort, it would be beneficial to have a diagnosis (if you are in a place where you can get free services as a result of the diagnosis).  Here in Canada and the USA, any type of delay qualifies for free Early Intervention services, and a diagnosis, speeds it up that much faster.  The reason I mention this is because when a child does have delays, the earlier the child is given access to services, the better the outcome with meeting the milestones on time.  If your daughter is just delayed but there are no reasons behind it, as I mentioned it could just be that she is fine and will get there when she is ready, stronger or more capable to do so.  To give you an example on the other side, I have two cousins who are typical (without any known genetic problems) and they both didn't walk until after 20 months, one at 23 months.  He is now a doctor.  So, the point is  - some children just meet their milestones when they can.

You have to decide when you don't believe it is a matter of just not meeting milestones at the typical age range.  I try and tell parents not to worry too much in case it's just a case of getting there when they can.  But, if at a year, she is not sitting - you should definitely consult with a doctor who can refer you to figure out why.  Also, some babies just skip crawling all together.  Some go from sitting to walking.  And this is quite normal too.  But to skip sitting is not.  So, I would definitely talk with her doctor.  An MRI can not conclude problems, with genetics.  It can definitely rule out brain injuries or trauma and also things like encephalitis (swelling of the brain) or Hydrocephalus (water on the brain) or microchepally (smaller then typical brain size) etc.  But even discovering any of these will prompt a referral to genetics.  So, I think it might be in her best interest for you to ask your doctor to consider a referral to genetics.  Depending on how long it will take for her to see a specialist in Genetics, she might be a year old by then.  If she is sitting and crawling, perhaps you won't have to worry, but if not - you might lose more time if you don't ask for the referral now.

You can certainly message me if you have more specific questions, but I strongly urge and advise you to seek out a medical doctor who can make a definitive diagnosis....  Most are done by blood test.  I hope this helps... and doesn't add to the confusion.  And usually parents gut feelings are there for a reason.  You know your child better then anyone.  But if this is your first child, you might not have anything to compare to as far as time lines.  (Not that you should ever compare your child's abilities) but if you are concerned, there is a reason.  Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be concerned.  Delaying testing can waste valuable time if it is necessary to get intervention started.  And if the testing comes back clear, then you can decide how you want to move forward - since unknown delays can receive the same interventions.  Your diligence is always in your child's best interest.  So, again - please let me know if I can help further.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
joining the club..I have 12months so he sit ,he is not  crawling and every time he lean against table or coach he cries as if he is in pain am worried sick ,,,,,,
My Daughter will be a year old next week, but she cannot stand up. If you stand her up holding her hands she lifts her legs and won't put weight on them. She moves around by shuffling on her bottom and she sort of crawls but not in the normal way, she uses her arms to move and her legs just seem to drag behind her. She saw the dr last week who is referring her. Also the dr thinks she has a squint in her eye and she has a very small head circumference. Does anyone else have a child similar to this?
Also we have discovered that there is a family history of a genetic disorder called OTC its a urea cycle disorder not sure if it could be linked???
My son is 14 months old & cannot setup,crawl or walk he had early intervention since he was 5 months n he has come a long way.Things take time when your child is like this.I think its important you seek help because their are some serious delays & concerns.Sometimes it scare me & its very stressful but the only option you have is to be patient..
Hello
I was wondering whatever happened with your babys MRi? I have an 11mo who was born 10wks early. doesnt sit, crawl, roll. he does say words. He just started with the right arm and right fist hitting his chest and banging his arms....even when he is sleeping. He has had a neg eeg, cat scan, testing. He does have low muscle tone. Was standing and jumping on both feet in his jumper but now has stopped using his left leg and now when I try to sit him in things or make him stand he pulls both legs all the way up to his tummy. So I was interested in knowing if your child was diagnosed with CP. They have alot of similiar characteristics.
Hello
My grand daughter is eight months old but "looks" like a four or five month old. Her facial features are not mature she is underweight poor appetite and is not crawling. In addition she says a few words ma ma da da and cannot sit alone. My daughter is changing her doctor. She was a term baby. Any suggestions?
mere child ki MRI report main paya gya ki uske right side ka porsan mind devlope nahi ho paya Es karan uske right side ke hand &leg not moment
nuturly
My daughter is 10 months old and is so small she isnt even on the growth chart. She was three weeks early as well. She does not sit up on her own crawl or pull herself up. She can roll a little bit. But we have had blood work done and a catscan and our nxt step with her doctor is to see a neurologist.
my baby 9 months he has had a running snotty col,d he is small and stil isnt eaten well, he cries alot he dosent crawl yet, he seems weak in his legs and cant stand up for too long please help me?
My daughter is 7 months old and still not able to hold her head steady. can not sit by her self. My doc advised few tests including an MRI which showed Delayed Mielination with less white matter in the brain. I can not figure out much from this result. The only thing doc said after reviewing the reports that she has delayed milestones and advised for chromosomal test for her, me and my spouse. I am very very scared for her. Can you or anybody tell me is this may be because of poor diet of mother during her pregnancy, because she's very weak too. Pls reply asap.

Abhay Asthana
***@****
abhay.***@****
My daughter is 7 months old and she also looks like 4 months old. Very weak and not able to hold her head steady. Pls advice asap.

abhay asthana
My son 11months all he can do is sit by him self wen uv helped him but cannot pull him self to sit up. Nor can he crawl walk ect. He holds his bottle but just learnt that he doesn't roll either. He has a misshaped head. It's sounds horrible but just only way i can explain really' any advice he's got a mind of a 8month old xx
My daughter is 13 months old. She has been floppy since birth. She Has had two mris, bloods urine taken several times. A lumbar puncture and skin biopsy. She can not sit and has just started to roll one way. She will not put weight on her legs, Has extra fluid in her brain, as enlarged ventricles.Since 4 months she has Done Early childhood intervention seen, Physio,ot and does swimming. From birth she could not lift a finger or head. She now does lift her head and can grasp toys, she has come along way. We have just been back to her specialist who says she has a genetic/metobolic storage disorder that seems to be one of 150 people in the world. We are now just waiting for Her skin to grow and put under extreme stress to get a correct result, but there are pretty sure they may have a diagnosis. Never give up,,, Remember its your childs health your talking about, just keep pestering for answers until someone sees your child.
My son is almost a year old and so far I have been told he has hypertonia. He can not do none of the above. We have started therapy. Wish Dr would have listened sooner. Any suggestions.
My child was born natrually 2 weeks early,
He was admitted to scbu straight after birth
And stayed ther for 2 months. He had a
Mri scan that suggested severe cerebral palsy.
I didn't want to believe this so I treated
Him as normal, he is now a year but acts like
A 8 month old and is the size and weight also
Of the average 8 month. He can sit up fine
Though he didn't sit properly until 9 months, he
Can crawl round in circles and backwards
Though this is very recent so he has yet to master crawling forward and he is keen to walk but has no balence so can't.He has recently started talking saying 'muma dada yeah and hiya'. He also had a feeding tube in for 7 months,but I slowley introduced food and I feared he would never drink properley so everynight I gave him a little go on a bottle and now he loves eating and drinking, he's starting to become a right porker !!!! A all I did was play with him and never force him as I believe he's jus playing catch up from all the precious time he spent in hospital.I was upset and still somtimes do get upset wen other babys run round him whilst hE's just sat there but I know in a few months, with a bit of encouragement he will do it, and then I can stick 2 fingers up to the people who thought he was never going to do any of this stuff!!
My lil one is eight months not crawling or sitting ip on her own she has a lazy eye can sit up with assistance roll a little move her arms and legs  should I be worried I carried to term
Did any of you take celexa or zoloft during pregnancy?  my son is having all the same problems as your are. Hes 11 months old. He just started sitting up. He doesn't walk and doesn't show any interest in it. He just began eating food instead of baby food but he still gags alot. He just started crawling. But its a weird crawl. He cries all the time like hes in pain. I can hardly ever get him to stop crying. So far the doctor had him take a MRI and were getting the results on friday. We know he has low muscle tone or floppy muscles. Were just so worried.
Try not to worry too much... my son also has unexplained low muscle tone. He sat at 13 months old, crawled at 15 months old and is starting to walk alone at 19 months old.

No problems with fine motor skills or eating.

MRI and other tests were normal. We were told it's probably benign hypotonia of lower muscles that should disappear as he grows.
hi can u give me ur mail id  we also worry abt that  , iwant to discuss ....
Hi, Can you please tell me where your child is now?
Did they end up diagnosing your child? Did your child catch up or is your child still delayed?
I have a 7 month old that doesn't reach for toys, doesnt hold things for long, and doesnt hold head up very well.
please let me know what happended in your sitation.
thank you
Hi, I have a 13 month old girl who can sit up from a semi reclining position and can sit unaided for quite a while, but she cannot sit up from lying down, is not bearing weight on her legs,can't crawl etc... but she can roll over.  She tries very hard to sit up from lying down but just can't manage it.  She also has a squint and is deaf in one ear.  She was born 4 weeks early and was under observation in the neo natal unit because she had fast breathing and was very jittery.  We were never told what caused these symptoms and she has since had an MRI scan which showed that her brain is structurally ok.  However, the consultant said that didn't mean her brain was functioning ok and she has been referred to a paediatrician for her development.
I am worried sick because there don't seem to be any answers but I did have an amneocentesis when I was pregnant because they thought she has Down's Syndrome but the tests came back clear for chromosonal abnormalities.  I notice that a few people have said their babies had feeding issues and my daughter always seemed to be in  pain when she was having her baby.  We have since found out that she had mild lactose intolerance and up until she was about 9 months old she would scream at all solid foods and gag on them.  However, now she will eat almost anything with no complaints.  Can anyone help, as I am driving myself crazy with worry.  People have mentioned CP in their posts but would that have showed on the MRI or chromosonal tests?
The specialists have said her squint could be muscle fibrosis or that her corneas are too small.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
my daughter is 9 months and she cant sit and stand.she cant crawl bt she rol very well.i m very very worrid plz tell me weather she has som problem r its normal
Try to get your pediatrician to direct you to an early intervention program.  One is available is in the US but I don't know where you are.  My grandson is almost 1 and he has been helped a lot by his therapy.  He has similar issues but is slowly improving.
You probably should post this  directly on  the forum page as your own question.  Then you won't get bogged down with all the outdated posts.
make sure your  child is getting the proper nutrition i once heard about a two year olds legs hurting turned out the parents were only feeding their child oatmeal and he ended getiing vitamin c deficciancy and was diagnosed with scurvey not saying your kids have scurvey but make sure your children are getting the proper nutrition
Hi All,

My son is 13 months old now, he is not sitting by himself yet, if we make him sit on the ground he can sit without support, he tries to crawl on four legs but he hardly can take take one or two steps and again slip on his tummy and crawls on tummy, if we hold one of his hand he can walk, he also can take few steps without holding him, he can climb steps on his own, but my concern his if we leave him down he only moves on his tummy, not pulling himself to a sitting position.
My 1 year old daughter doesn't sit, crawl, stand or walk, i'm so worried i spend most of my time looking at her and crying. She was given double dose of BCG could this be the problem or is she disable? Please help
Hi my child is 12 month old and unable to sit and facing the above problem . Please suggest doctor name in north India for proper treatment
to jenlh and all you other posters on this board who are talking about your kids being THAT delayed.  that blows my mind that doctors in this day and age are still telling you not to worry.  I thought those days of long gone darkness in medical care were gone long ago after my child.s days.  Guess not!   You guys need to forget what those doctors are telling you and take your own proactive action for your children.  I cannot believe the posts that I am reading on this board and that these doctors are not making referrals for genetic testing first and secondly to the approriate pediatric specialists in each field.  you mothers are going to have to just go over those doctor's heads and make your own independent appointment at pediatric specialty doctors if your insurance will allow specialists without a referral.  That is exactly what I did and would do again in a heartbeat.   My child's pediatrician was behind me all the way.  You cannot rely on ONE pediatrician, who probably has never seen another child like yours in his practice, to make a referral to the appropriate pediatric specialist IN TME to get early intervention programs started for your children.  I can tell you as a parent of a 30+ year old child who is developmentally delayed, has a primary genetic diagnosis along with many many other medical problems.  I can tell you from 30+ years of experience with children like yours that that those delays of which you are speaking are very indicative of children who will be developmentally and cognitively delayed as adults.  Your delayed children NEED early intervention.  They do NOT need doctors who take the lazy "watch and see" attitudes.   yes, there are perameters of delays and all children develop at their own paces. However, if there is anything in your own "mother's gut feeling" that tells you that something is not quite right then you better believe that you are right and seek specialist consults.  Most kids with genetic disabilities have a multitude of various sometimes subtle and sometimes not so subtle symptoms.  When there are so many symptoms in combination it is most likely a genetic cause.  

However, I would also not be so concerned about what they can do, but rather, how they do, what they do.  
My suggestion to jenlh is that I would probably make two different urgent appointments ASAP.  First, with a pediatric neurologist to examine your child's hypotonia and other possible neurological problems and secondly with a pediatric geneticist for genetic tes

To: isthiscp I would strongly suggest that you make an appointment at a geneticist and request FISH and CGHarray testing ASAP.  I doubt that it is cp.  it sounds genetic.

You can find these pediatric specialists that deal with children like ours on a regular basis at most of the major university medical schools. While you obviously need a regular pediatrician, you need to go further with kids like ours.  As a mother who has been there done that, and seen that, 30 years ago, trust me when I say that you will be sorry if you do not take your own proactive approach to make appointments for your children today for pediatric genetic and pediatric neurologist appointments.
my 10 month old son is starting to worry me. he hates tummy time, cant pick himself up, stands up only if i pick him up, after a while he'll just fall right back not even on his butt. he runs in his walker all over the place, if hes on his back he does  3/60 turns. he eats everything and is a very happy baby. he says mama/dada, gets excited when his fav cartoon is on. he doesnt clap his hands or wave bye. i see his frustrations when he cant do something.
My Son is 17 months old and can not pull himself into sitting can not crawl can not take any weight on his legs, he can sit up if put in the position but slumps to one side and he is about the size of a 9 month old.  He is a very happy little boy but is sounds very chesty all the time yet every doctor has said his chest is clear ! He can roll over but that is it and when you lie him on his back he looks like his upper body curves to one side and he struggles to poo by himself like he has no sensation to go but as soon as you stimulate the area he goes.  i am still awaiting a diagnosis and answers and i don't know what to do as the paeds seem to be dragging their heals with tests and help. I don't know what to do anymore.
My daughter was born 4 weeks early due to the doctors telling us that her abdomen region wasn't growing any more.  We scheduled her to be born on May 1st of 2009.  Shortly after she was born at 4 months old our pediatrician notice that her head had a weird shape and refered us to a specialist.  The specialist told us that our daughter had crainostynositosis, which is where the bone plates in your head fuse together too soon.  at 8 months she had the surgery.  After that we noticed that her development wasn;t what is should be so we sought some expert opinion on why our daughter had delayed development.  While consulting expert opinion we noticed the shape of her head returning to what is was before she 1st surgery.  When calls to the first surgeon were not returned we consulted a second surgeon at a different hospital (the first surgery used nothing but the bones in her head to reconstruce her skull).  The second surgeon took one look at her and schedule the second surgery (this one used 4 plastic dissolvable plates and over 150 dissolvable screws).  After surgery we continued to search for the reason for our daughters developmental issues.  When visiting one doctor he had excused himself and said he would be right back in 15 min...30 min later we went to see what was taking soo long....he said 5 more minutes....15 minutes later he came in the room with a genetic counsler and told us that he was testing our child for 3 different syndrome and one of them being Cockayne Syndrome.  He then proceeded to tell us that she looked like a child with Cockayne syndrome, but he had only ever seen one in his residency and was unsure but wanted to take some blood and have it tested.  on June 30th we got the call confirming that our daughter has Cockayne Syndrome which is characterized by poor grown and development, sensitve to sunlight, failure to thrive and a shortened lifespan.  There are three types of Cockayne Syndrome: type 1 has a life expectancy of 10 to 20 years, type two typically life to be approximately 7 years old and type three can live to be 30-40 years old.  Our daughter has type one.  She is extremely happy and loves life.

The point to my story is once you suspect something is wrong...DON"T GIVE UP!  NEVER GIVE UP!  If a parent suspects something is wrong with their child they might be right (we were told by a neurologist that there was nothing wrong with our child (at 1.5 years old) and that his son didn't crawl until he was 2.5 years old and now he is a 6'4" 250lbs. football player), shows how much this doctor knew (or for that matter wanted to know/find out for us)!  Also you have to undertand that doctors are only humans and they don't know everything or have seen ever seen everything, so it is ok to seek other opinions no matter how long  it takes or how may opinions you want, THAT IS YOUR RIGHT!

To everyone that has concerns about their child,

A Concerned Parent!
My baby is the same way she is 11months and can't sit by her self,walk or craw she holds her bottle and rolls over but that's it she loves to be in her back a lot. She is having a MRI in two weeks to see what's the problem they said she might have cerebral palsy l hope she ok first god
did the doctors ever figure out why? I know someone whos baby has similar problems and baby is 13 months and no diagnosis wondering if it all turned out normal in the end or was a diagnosis made?

please let me know the results. same issues with a baby i know- could help us, thanks
Sounds familiar...My 13 month old was born at 41 weeks but a day later (after his vaccines) he started having seizures that doctors couldn't control at first. He stayed in the nicu for a month & was only diagnosed with seizure disorder, hypertonia, cross-eyes but even after countless tests (MRI's, EEG's, etc.) no one could find a reason for these issues. He is very delayed now, can't hold his head up straight, sit up, stand alone, crawl, etc. but he did start holding his bottle about 2 months ago (which I am so proud of!) & just recently started making "da-da" sounds & also sometimes will reach (up) for toys but we know he has a long way to go. No doctor will confirm (I don't trust, respect or believe them anyway) but my husband & I think it may be cerebral palsy & we have no idea what the future holds for him but I do know once we can master holding his head up, everything else will soon follow. We are constantly trying new things with him but hope maybe another family's experince will help us along. Please e-mail me if you can give ANY advice. It will be most appreciated. Thanks. ***@****
Hi there! I was reading ur post & it sounded familiar to me. I hope all is well with ur son & hopefully you can help me out as well. I have a 13 month old who was also born full term (no complications in pregnancy) but just 24 hours after he was born he started having seizures (a lot- that were very hard to control). He was in the nicu for a month & had countless tests done (MRI's, EEG's, Lumbar Punctures, etc.) & the doctors could not find a reason for the episodes. He has only been diagnosed with seizure disorder, hypertonia & cross-eyes but there has still never been a real diagnosis. This has been the roughest year of our lives & we've been on a mission to find an answer & cure to all of this. He can't sit up alone, hold his head straight, crawl, walk, etc. My husband & I have seen some progress in him though (no thanks to any doctor!) but are still very worried about his future. We believe he has the signs of cerebral palsy but are hoping it's not the case. Please let me know how your son is progressing today & the steps you took. Thank you very much & I wish you all the best!
hii
I was looking for development delays in 11 months old and happened to drop by your message. My son is 11 months old now and has same delays as your daughter had. I am concerned for my son since he cannot sit up on his own yet, doesnt crawl or stand. Started rolling 3 months back and now hold his head up high when is on his tummy which he wasn't doing earlier. Sorry to disturb you but can you please let me know how your daughter developed in terms of her reaching physical milestones? I might start physiotherapy for him soon. Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks :)
Just wondering if anyone has found a link to all of these issues.  My son is experiencing the EXACT symptoms...16 months old, cannot sit on his own , he crawls but cannot walk or move around furniture...he gags on chunky food, is underweight and small in length but has a large head (50th percentile)  he sees PT and is undergoing many tests through genetics and endocrinology...he was c-section and also had oxygen issues at birth, stomach tube and infection due to sepsis of the lungs....Please if someone has any ideas post them...it has to be something it just takes sooo long to diagnose.  Please e-mail if anyone has suggestions:) ***@****
Just wondering if anyone has found a link to all of these issues.  My son is experiencing the EXACT symptoms...16 months old, cannot sit on his own , he crawls but cannot walk or move around furniture...he gags on chunky food, is underweight and small in length but has a large head (50th percentile)  he sees PT and is undergoing many tests through genetics and endocrinology...he was c-section and also had oxygen issues at birth, stomach tube and infection due to sepsis of the lungs....Please if someone has any ideas post them...it has to be something it just takes sooo long to diagnose.  Please e-mail if anyone has suggestions:)
My child is 9 months old his head is really large for his age . He can not sit up or control his head picking him up is like holding a new born baby he has a head scan next month can anyone help as to what could be wrong with him I am constantly worrying about it
Hi I have a 10 month old baby girl who had mild hypotonia when she was 3 month old but then no other doctors mentioned it again so lack of physio, now that she is 10 month old, can roll over perfectly in both directions, sits up when I sit her up...trying to crawl but not there yet and cant really stand, it is making me worry sick. I have asked for a physiotherapy assessment which seems like ages to come through by post. Hope and Pray for all the little beautiful bubbas out there.
I believe the child is not well maybe something is wrong with his back
Hi was reading your post. How is your son doing after these years now. My daughter is 1 yrs old and the same  like your son. She has hypotonia due to a,lack of oxygen during birth. I just wonder if there is any hope and does it get better? Thank you, elizabeth