11 month old not sitting, crawling...
My 11 month old is not sitting up on her own yet.  She can not pull her self up into a sitting position nor can she sit by her self if I sit her up.  She's not crawling, walking or standing.  She does roll very well though.  She also hasn't spoken any words yet(mamma, dadda...) It's almost as if she's an eight month old baby and not on her way to a year.  She was three weeks premature, but otherwise very healthy.  She hasn't even been sick yet.  I've increased her tummy time and have been paying extra special attention to her developement but am very conserned.  Could this be a real problem?
Hello Iy2010, (and Nita2785 - by the way, my son crawls this way.., and it is common to baby's who have low muscle tone.  It's called commando crawling)

I think this is a hard question simply because there are a lot of children who are just not able to meet milestones at the "typical" time frames listed by doctors etc.  What does your child's doctor say at this point?  I would hope that they are involved at this point if she is not able to sit unassisted or crawl.  Again there could be many physical reasons (not cognitive reasons) why she can't sit or crawl yet.  Her muscle tone might  be low, week, or lacking.  This condition is called hypotonia.  Floppy muscles and loose joints.  This condition can be something she has or could be because she has an associated genetic condition.
Are you located in a country (your profile doesn't say where you are from) that has Early Intervention programs/therapies?  These interventions are designed to help and assist children who are not meeting their milestones and to give them the help by using therapies such as Physio or Occupational therapy to achieve milestones.  These groups of programs also include speech therapies, sight assessments and also hearing.  Often when there are delays of some sort, others delays might need to be considered or watched for.

Is there any possibility that your daughter could have a chromosomal or genetic abnormality?  The reason I ask is often a physical delay associated with crossed eyes sometimes is related to genetic problems such as Down syndrome for example.  My son has Down sydnrome (we knew before he was born via Amnio) but at his birth, 4 different doctors denied the possibility that he had Ds by characteristics simply because children (babies with Ds) tend to look Asian due to one of their characteristics of the up-slanted eyes and I am half Chinese.  To the doctors, it was absolutely normal that our son looked somewhat Asian since his mother was 1/2.  So, without knowing where you are from or your back ground, the reason I mention this is because doctors can often miss a potential diagnosis or push a test for a diagnosis simply because the child (baby) doesn't appear to look like he or she has a genetic abnormality.

If you baby has not ever been tested for a chromosomal abnormality and you want answers, it might be something to ask your doctor to refer you to a genetics doctor.  The thing is this, if indeed your daughter has a delay of some sort, it would be beneficial to have a diagnosis (if you are in a place where you can get free services as a result of the diagnosis).  Here in Canada and the USA, any type of delay qualifies for free Early Intervention services, and a diagnosis, speeds it up that much faster.  The reason I mention this is because when a child does have delays, the earlier the child is given access to services, the better the outcome with meeting the milestones on time.  If your daughter is just delayed but there are no reasons behind it, as I mentioned it could just be that she is fine and will get there when she is ready, stronger or more capable to do so.  To give you an example on the other side, I have two cousins who are typical (without any known genetic problems) and they both didn't walk until after 20 months, one at 23 months.  He is now a doctor.  So, the point is  - some children just meet their milestones when they can.

You have to decide when you don't believe it is a matter of just not meeting milestones at the typical age range.  I try and tell parents not to worry too much in case it's just a case of getting there when they can.  But, if at a year, she is not sitting - you should definitely consult with a doctor who can refer you to figure out why.  Also, some babies just skip crawling all together.  Some go from sitting to walking.  And this is quite normal too.  But to skip sitting is not.  So, I would definitely talk with her doctor.  An MRI can not conclude problems, with genetics.  It can definitely rule out brain injuries or trauma and also things like encephalitis (swelling of the brain) or Hydrocephalus (water on the brain) or microchepally (smaller then typical brain size) etc.  But even discovering any of these will prompt a referral to genetics.  So, I think it might be in her best interest for you to ask your doctor to consider a referral to genetics.  Depending on how long it will take for her to see a specialist in Genetics, she might be a year old by then.  If she is sitting and crawling, perhaps you won't have to worry, but if not - you might lose more time if you don't ask for the referral now.

You can certainly message me if you have more specific questions, but I strongly urge and advise you to seek out a medical doctor who can make a definitive diagnosis....  Most are done by blood test.  I hope this helps... and doesn't add to the confusion.  And usually parents gut feelings are there for a reason.  You know your child better then anyone.  But if this is your first child, you might not have anything to compare to as far as time lines.  (Not that you should ever compare your child's abilities) but if you are concerned, there is a reason.  Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be concerned.  Delaying testing can waste valuable time if it is necessary to get intervention started.  And if the testing comes back clear, then you can decide how you want to move forward - since unknown delays can receive the same interventions.  Your diligence is always in your child's best interest.  So, again - please let me know if I can help further.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
joining the club..I have 12months so he sit ,he is not  crawling and every time he lean against table or coach he cries as if he is in pain am worried sick ,,,,,,
My Daughter will be a year old next week, but she cannot stand up. If you stand her up holding her hands she lifts her legs and won't put weight on them. She moves around by shuffling on her bottom and she sort of crawls but not in the normal way, she uses her arms to move and her legs just seem to drag behind her. She saw the dr last week who is referring her. Also the dr thinks she has a squint in her eye and she has a very small head circumference. Does anyone else have a child similar to this?
Also we have discovered that there is a family history of a genetic disorder called OTC its a urea cycle disorder not sure if it could be linked???
My son is 14 months old & cannot setup,crawl or walk he had early intervention since he was 5 months n he has come a long way.Things take time when your child is like this.I think its important you seek help because their are some serious delays & concerns.Sometimes it scare me & its very stressful but the only option you have is to be patient..
Hello
I was wondering whatever happened with your babys MRi? I have an 11mo who was born 10wks early. doesnt sit, crawl, roll. he does say words. He just started with the right arm and right fist hitting his chest and banging his arms....even when he is sleeping. He has had a neg eeg, cat scan, testing. He does have low muscle tone. Was standing and jumping on both feet in his jumper but now has stopped using his left leg and now when I try to sit him in things or make him stand he pulls both legs all the way up to his tummy. So I was interested in knowing if your child was diagnosed with CP. They have alot of similiar characteristics.
Hello
My grand daughter is eight months old but "looks" like a four or five month old. Her facial features are not mature she is underweight poor appetite and is not crawling. In addition she says a few words ma ma da da and cannot sit alone. My daughter is changing her doctor. She was a term baby. Any suggestions?
mere child ki MRI report main paya gya ki uske right side ka porsan mind devlope nahi ho paya Es karan uske right side ke hand &leg not moment
nuturly
My daughter is 10 months old and is so small she isnt even on the growth chart. She was three weeks early as well. She does not sit up on her own crawl or pull herself up. She can roll a little bit. But we have had blood work done and a catscan and our nxt step with her doctor is to see a neurologist.
my baby 9 months he has had a running snotty col,d he is small and stil isnt eaten well, he cries alot he dosent crawl yet, he seems weak in his legs and cant stand up for too long please help me?
My daughter is 7 months old and still not able to hold her head steady. can not sit by her self. My doc advised few tests including an MRI which showed Delayed Mielination with less white matter in the brain. I can not figure out much from this result. The only thing doc said after reviewing the reports that she has delayed milestones and advised for chromosomal test for her, me and my spouse. I am very very scared for her. Can you or anybody tell me is this may be because of poor diet of mother during her pregnancy, because she's very weak too. Pls reply asap.

Abhay Asthana
***@****
abhay.***@****
My daughter is 7 months old and she also looks like 4 months old. Very weak and not able to hold her head steady. Pls advice asap.

abhay asthana
My son 11months all he can do is sit by him self wen uv helped him but cannot pull him self to sit up. Nor can he crawl walk ect. He holds his bottle but just learnt that he doesn't roll either. He has a misshaped head. It's sounds horrible but just only way i can explain really' any advice he's got a mind of a 8month old xx
My lo has similar situation. Can you please provide an update? It would be appreciated. Thx
My daughter is 13 months old. She has been floppy since birth. She Has had two mris, bloods urine taken several times. A lumbar puncture and skin biopsy. She can not sit and has just started to roll one way. She will not put weight on her legs, Has extra fluid in her brain, as enlarged ventricles.Since 4 months she has Done Early childhood intervention seen, Physio,ot and does swimming. From birth she could not lift a finger or head. She now does lift her head and can grasp toys, she has come along way. We have just been back to her specialist who says she has a genetic/metobolic storage disorder that seems to be one of 150 people in the world. We are now just waiting for Her skin to grow and put under extreme stress to get a correct result, but there are pretty sure they may have a diagnosis. Never give up,,, Remember its your childs health your talking about, just keep pestering for answers until someone sees your child.
My son is almost a year old and so far I have been told he has hypertonia. He can not do none of the above. We have started therapy. Wish Dr would have listened sooner. Any suggestions.
My child was born natrually 2 weeks early,
He was admitted to scbu straight after birth
And stayed ther for 2 months. He had a
Mri scan that suggested severe cerebral palsy.
I didn't want to believe this so I treated
Him as normal, he is now a year but acts like
A 8 month old and is the size and weight also
Of the average 8 month. He can sit up fine
Though he didn't sit properly until 9 months, he
Can crawl round in circles and backwards
Though this is very recent so he has yet to master crawling forward and he is keen to walk but has no balence so can't.He has recently started talking saying 'muma dada yeah and hiya'. He also had a feeding tube in for 7 months,but I slowley introduced food and I feared he would never drink properley so everynight I gave him a little go on a bottle and now he loves eating and drinking, he's starting to become a right porker !!!! A all I did was play with him and never force him as I believe he's jus playing catch up from all the precious time he spent in hospital.I was upset and still somtimes do get upset wen other babys run round him whilst hE's just sat there but I know in a few months, with a bit of encouragement he will do it, and then I can stick 2 fingers up to the people who thought he was never going to do any of this stuff!!
My lil one is eight months not crawling or sitting ip on her own she has a lazy eye can sit up with assistance roll a little move her arms and legs  should I be worried I carried to term
Did any of you take celexa or zoloft during pregnancy?  my son is having all the same problems as your are. Hes 11 months old. He just started sitting up. He doesn't walk and doesn't show any interest in it. He just began eating food instead of baby food but he still gags alot. He just started crawling. But its a weird crawl. He cries all the time like hes in pain. I can hardly ever get him to stop crying. So far the doctor had him take a MRI and were getting the results on friday. We know he has low muscle tone or floppy muscles. Were just so worried.
Try not to worry too much... my son also has unexplained low muscle tone. He sat at 13 months old, crawled at 15 months old and is starting to walk alone at 19 months old.

No problems with fine motor skills or eating.

MRI and other tests were normal. We were told it's probably benign hypotonia of lower muscles that should disappear as he grows.
hi can u give me ur mail id  we also worry abt that  , iwant to discuss ....
Hi, Can you please tell me where your child is now?
Did they end up diagnosing your child? Did your child catch up or is your child still delayed?
I have a 7 month old that doesn't reach for toys, doesnt hold things for long, and doesnt hold head up very well.
please let me know what happended in your sitation.
thank you
Hi, I have a 13 month old girl who can sit up from a semi reclining position and can sit unaided for quite a while, but she cannot sit up from lying down, is not bearing weight on her legs,can't crawl etc... but she can roll over.  She tries very hard to sit up from lying down but just can't manage it.  She also has a squint and is deaf in one ear.  She was born 4 weeks early and was under observation in the neo natal unit because she had fast breathing and was very jittery.  We were never told what caused these symptoms and she has since had an MRI scan which showed that her brain is structurally ok.  However, the consultant said that didn't mean her brain was functioning ok and she has been referred to a paediatrician for her development.
I am worried sick because there don't seem to be any answers but I did have an amneocentesis when I was pregnant because they thought she has Down's Syndrome but the tests came back clear for chromosonal abnormalities.  I notice that a few people have said their babies had feeding issues and my daughter always seemed to be in  pain when she was having her baby.  We have since found out that she had mild lactose intolerance and up until she was about 9 months old she would scream at all solid foods and gag on them.  However, now she will eat almost anything with no complaints.  Can anyone help, as I am driving myself crazy with worry.  People have mentioned CP in their posts but would that have showed on the MRI or chromosonal tests?
The specialists have said her squint could be muscle fibrosis or that her corneas are too small.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
my daughter is 9 months and she cant sit and stand.she cant crawl bt she rol very well.i m very very worrid plz tell me weather she has som problem r its normal
Try to get your pediatrician to direct you to an early intervention program.  One is available is in the US but I don't know where you are.  My grandson is almost 1 and he has been helped a lot by his therapy.  He has similar issues but is slowly improving.
You probably should post this  directly on  the forum page as your own question.  Then you won't get bogged down with all the outdated posts.
make sure your  child is getting the proper nutrition i once heard about a two year olds legs hurting turned out the parents were only feeding their child oatmeal and he ended getiing vitamin c deficciancy and was diagnosed with scurvey not saying your kids have scurvey but make sure your children are getting the proper nutrition
Hi All,

My son is 13 months old now, he is not sitting by himself yet, if we make him sit on the ground he can sit without support, he tries to crawl on four legs but he hardly can take take one or two steps and again slip on his tummy and crawls on tummy, if we hold one of his hand he can walk, he also can take few steps without holding him, he can climb steps on his own, but my concern his if we leave him down he only moves on his tummy, not pulling himself to a sitting position.
My 1 year old daughter doesn't sit, crawl, stand or walk, i'm so worried i spend most of my time looking at her and crying. She was given double dose of BCG could this be the problem or is she disable? Please help
Hi my child is 12 month old and unable to sit and facing the above problem . Please suggest doctor name in north India for proper treatment
to jenlh and all you other posters on this board who are talking about your kids being THAT delayed.  that blows my mind that doctors in this day and age are still telling you not to worry.  I thought those days of long gone darkness in medical care were gone long ago after my child.s days.  Guess not!   You guys need to forget what those doctors are telling you and take your own proactive action for your children.  I cannot believe the posts that I am reading on this board and that these doctors are not making referrals for genetic testing first and secondly to the approriate pediatric specialists in each field.  you mothers are going to have to just go over those doctor's heads and make your own independent appointment at pediatric specialty doctors if your insurance will allow specialists without a referral.  That is exactly what I did and would do again in a heartbeat.   My child's pediatrician was behind me all the way.  You cannot rely on ONE pediatrician, who probably has never seen another child like yours in his practice, to make a referral to the appropriate pediatric specialist IN TME to get early intervention programs started for your children.  I can tell you as a parent of a 30+ year old child who is developmentally delayed, has a primary genetic diagnosis along with many many other medical problems.  I can tell you from 30+ years of experience with children like yours that that those delays of which you are speaking are very indicative of children who will be developmentally and cognitively delayed as adults.  Your delayed children NEED early intervention.  They do NOT need doctors who take the lazy "watch and see" attitudes.   yes, there are perameters of delays and all children develop at their own paces. However, if there is anything in your own "mother's gut feeling" that tells you that something is not quite right then you better believe that you are right and seek specialist consults.  Most kids with genetic disabilities have a multitude of various sometimes subtle and sometimes not so subtle symptoms.  When there are so many symptoms in combination it is most likely a genetic cause.  

However, I would also not be so concerned about what they can do, but rather, how they do, what they do.  
My suggestion to jenlh is that I would probably make two different urgent appointments ASAP.  First, with a pediatric neurologist to examine your child's hypotonia and other possible neurological problems and secondly with a pediatric geneticist for genetic tes

To: isthiscp I would strongly suggest that you make an appointment at a geneticist and request FISH and CGHarray testing ASAP.  I doubt that it is cp.  it sounds genetic.

You can find these pediatric specialists that deal with children like ours on a regular basis at most of the major university medical schools. While you obviously need a regular pediatrician, you need to go further with kids like ours.  As a mother who has been there done that, and seen that, 30 years ago, trust me when I say that you will be sorry if you do not take your own proactive approach to make appointments for your children today for pediatric genetic and pediatric neurologist appointments.
my 10 month old son is starting to worry me. he hates tummy time, cant pick himself up, stands up only if i pick him up, after a while he'll just fall right back not even on his butt. he runs in his walker all over the place, if hes on his back he does  3/60 turns. he eats everything and is a very happy baby. he says mama/dada, gets excited when his fav cartoon is on. he doesnt clap his hands or wave bye. i see his frustrations when he cant do something.
My Son is 17 months old and can not pull himself into sitting can not crawl can not take any weight on his legs, he can sit up if put in the position but slumps to one side and he is about the size of a 9 month old.  He is a very happy little boy but is sounds very chesty all the time yet every doctor has said his chest is clear ! He can roll over but that is it and when you lie him on his back he looks like his upper body curves to one side and he struggles to poo by himself like he has no sensation to go but as soon as you stimulate the area he goes.  i am still awaiting a diagnosis and answers and i don't know what to do as the paeds seem to be dragging their heals with tests and help. I don't know what to do anymore.
My daughter was born 4 weeks early due to the doctors telling us that her abdomen region wasn't growing any more.  We scheduled her to be born on May 1st of 2009.  Shortly after she was born at 4 months old our pediatrician notice that her head had a weird shape and refered us to a specialist.  The specialist told us that our daughter had crainostynositosis, which is where the bone plates in your head fuse together too soon.  at 8 months she had the surgery.  After that we noticed that her development wasn;t what is should be so we sought some expert opinion on why our daughter had delayed development.  While consulting expert opinion we noticed the shape of her head returning to what is was before she 1st surgery.  When calls to the first surgeon were not returned we consulted a second surgeon at a different hospital (the first surgery used nothing but the bones in her head to reconstruce her skull).  The second surgeon took one look at her and schedule the second surgery (this one used 4 plastic dissolvable plates and over 150 dissolvable screws).  After surgery we continued to search for the reason for our daughters developmental issues.  When visiting one doctor he had excused himself and said he would be right back in 15 min...30 min later we went to see what was taking soo long....he said 5 more minutes....15 minutes later he came in the room with a genetic counsler and told us that he was testing our child for 3 different syndrome and one of them being Cockayne Syndrome.  He then proceeded to tell us that she looked like a child with Cockayne syndrome, but he had only ever seen one in his residency and was unsure but wanted to take some blood and have it tested.  on June 30th we got the call confirming that our daughter has Cockayne Syndrome which is characterized by poor grown and development, sensitve to sunlight, failure to thrive and a shortened lifespan.  There are three types of Cockayne Syndrome: type 1 has a life expectancy of 10 to 20 years, type two typically life to be approximately 7 years old and type three can live to be 30-40 years old.  Our daughter has type one.  She is extremely happy and loves life.

The point to my story is once you suspect something is wrong...DON"T GIVE UP!  NEVER GIVE UP!  If a parent suspects something is wrong with their child they might be right (we were told by a neurologist that there was nothing wrong with our child (at 1.5 years old) and that his son didn't crawl until he was 2.5 years old and now he is a 6'4" 250lbs. football player), shows how much this doctor knew (or for that matter wanted to know/find out for us)!  Also you have to undertand that doctors are only humans and they don't know everything or have seen ever seen everything, so it is ok to seek other opinions no matter how long  it takes or how may opinions you want, THAT IS YOUR RIGHT!

To everyone that has concerns about their child,

A Concerned Parent!
My baby is the same way she is 11months and can't sit by her self,walk or craw she holds her bottle and rolls over but that's it she loves to be in her back a lot. She is having a MRI in two weeks to see what's the problem they said she might have cerebral palsy l hope she ok first god
did the doctors ever figure out why? I know someone whos baby has similar problems and baby is 13 months and no diagnosis wondering if it all turned out normal in the end or was a diagnosis made?

please let me know the results. same issues with a baby i know- could help us, thanks
Sounds familiar...My 13 month old was born at 41 weeks but a day later (after his vaccines) he started having seizures that doctors couldn't control at first. He stayed in the nicu for a month & was only diagnosed with seizure disorder, hypertonia, cross-eyes but even after countless tests (MRI's, EEG's, etc.) no one could find a reason for these issues. He is very delayed now, can't hold his head up straight, sit up, stand alone, crawl, etc. but he did start holding his bottle about 2 months ago (which I am so proud of!) & just recently started making "da-da" sounds & also sometimes will reach (up) for toys but we know he has a long way to go. No doctor will confirm (I don't trust, respect or believe them anyway) but my husband & I think it may be cerebral palsy & we have no idea what the future holds for him but I do know once we can master holding his head up, everything else will soon follow. We are constantly trying new things with him but hope maybe another family's experince will help us along. Please e-mail me if you can give ANY advice. It will be most appreciated. Thanks. ***@****
Hi there! I was reading ur post & it sounded familiar to me. I hope all is well with ur son & hopefully you can help me out as well. I have a 13 month old who was also born full term (no complications in pregnancy) but just 24 hours after he was born he started having seizures (a lot- that were very hard to control). He was in the nicu for a month & had countless tests done (MRI's, EEG's, Lumbar Punctures, etc.) & the doctors could not find a reason for the episodes. He has only been diagnosed with seizure disorder, hypertonia & cross-eyes but there has still never been a real diagnosis. This has been the roughest year of our lives & we've been on a mission to find an answer & cure to all of this. He can't sit up alone, hold his head straight, crawl, walk, etc. My husband & I have seen some progress in him though (no thanks to any doctor!) but are still very worried about his future. We believe he has the signs of cerebral palsy but are hoping it's not the case. Please let me know how your son is progressing today & the steps you took. Thank you very much & I wish you all the best!
hii
I was looking for development delays in 11 months old and happened to drop by your message. My son is 11 months old now and has same delays as your daughter had. I am concerned for my son since he cannot sit up on his own yet, doesnt crawl or stand. Started rolling 3 months back and now hold his head up high when is on his tummy which he wasn't doing earlier. Sorry to disturb you but can you please let me know how your daughter developed in terms of her reaching physical milestones? I might start physiotherapy for him soon. Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks :)
Just wondering if anyone has found a link to all of these issues.  My son is experiencing the EXACT symptoms...16 months old, cannot sit on his own , he crawls but cannot walk or move around furniture...he gags on chunky food, is underweight and small in length but has a large head (50th percentile)  he sees PT and is undergoing many tests through genetics and endocrinology...he was c-section and also had oxygen issues at birth, stomach tube and infection due to sepsis of the lungs....Please if someone has any ideas post them...it has to be something it just takes sooo long to diagnose.  Please e-mail if anyone has suggestions:) ***@****
Just wondering if anyone has found a link to all of these issues.  My son is experiencing the EXACT symptoms...16 months old, cannot sit on his own , he crawls but cannot walk or move around furniture...he gags on chunky food, is underweight and small in length but has a large head (50th percentile)  he sees PT and is undergoing many tests through genetics and endocrinology...he was c-section and also had oxygen issues at birth, stomach tube and infection due to sepsis of the lungs....Please if someone has any ideas post them...it has to be something it just takes sooo long to diagnose.  Please e-mail if anyone has suggestions:)
My child is 9 months old his head is really large for his age . He can not sit up or control his head picking him up is like holding a new born baby he has a head scan next month can anyone help as to what could be wrong with him I am constantly worrying about it
Hi I have a 10 month old baby girl who had mild hypotonia when she was 3 month old but then no other doctors mentioned it again so lack of physio, now that she is 10 month old, can roll over perfectly in both directions, sits up when I sit her up...trying to crawl but not there yet and cant really stand, it is making me worry sick. I have asked for a physiotherapy assessment which seems like ages to come through by post. Hope and Pray for all the little beautiful bubbas out there.
I believe the child is not well maybe something is wrong with his back
Hi was reading your post. How is your son doing after these years now. My daughter is 1 yrs old and the same  like your son. She has hypotonia due to a,lack of oxygen during birth. I just wonder if there is any hope and does it get better? Thank you, elizabeth
Hi.my son is 9 and having same problem really worried!!dr suggested MRI.does it get better??please respond as my son was also premature 32 weeks!
Can you tell me who/where to contact for Early Intervention in Riverside, CA? I have kaiser insurance and they're NOT responsive to anything..
my son is 1yr old can't sit for a long time on his own, can't crawl or walk and have stiff  hands but if help, he stands and speaks some little words.
we are still on medication but need more advice
I'm having same issue with mine thou mine is twins,the first boy can't sit or crawl at 11 months but the second boy is sitting but yet to crawl. Pls what is the solution to this
He is healthy but he can't but not for long time when he sit after sitting he start to cry
Chexk for a neuromuscular disorder like Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA).