Children - Special Needs Community
15 year old with PDD NOS still playing with his feces

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Hello,  I've come here because I really have no one else to turn to right now.  If I tried to talk to anyone else about it they probably wouldn't understand.  I have a younger brother who we have actually just found out about 2 1/2 years ago has PDD NOS.  He used to play with his feces when he was younger, but still a small child, and my parents knew it was a problem but they didn't know it was an indicator for autism or PDD NOS.  So my brother went undiagnosed for years because although he showed signs like this, he is very high functioning.  He isn't very socially adept, but he's a very smart kid.  He can have normal conversations, etc.  

I've come here because recently, my brother's symptoms have gotten worse and out of hand and I'm scared for him.  I want him to have a normal life but he's been in and out of the psychiatric ward 4 times in the last 9 months.  He's been VERY violent in school, he has always been that way, when he was 13 they put him in a level 5 class because he disrupts the rest of the students so much.  But now, it has gotten very severe.  My brother seems to have started playing with his feces again.  He doesn't smear it, he molds it in his hands, places it on the toilet seat, and hides it in his room under the bed.  He lives with my father and my father's girlfriend in another state, and my father's girlfriend has a new granddaughter who is around a lot so there are diapers in the house.  The most disturbing thing is that my brother will steal diapers, wear them, poop in them, and then store them in his drawer.  He has also worn them to school and pooped in them at school!  As I said, he's very high functioning.  My dad never had any reason to dress him, he has been doing that for himself since he was a little kid.  My dad gives him his privacy in his room like every teenager needs and imagine his surprise when he found feces everywhere one day.  He has also been lighting paper on fire in the house.  

The hospital is trying to discharge him because his insurance has run out, but he still needs a lot of help.  My father's girlfriend doesn't want to allow him back in the house because she knows if he comes back he could be a danger to himself and to everyone in the house, especially the baby.  Mostly because of the fire thing and because of the feces that are toxic and could cause serious health problems if left sitting like that.  I'm just so scared, just a few years ago he seemed fine, his symptoms were so infrequent that we didn't even know that he had PDD NOS at all.  But now all of the sudden things are terrible.  I just want him to get the help he needs and to live a good life.  I want him not to be teased and taunted at school because of this, which has begun to happen.  I fear for his future.  

Is there anything I or my family can do to help him?  The doctors at the hospital just want him out.  They even told my dad that he is "A very very sick boy, and he needs a lot of help, but he's stable now so take him home."  He'll come home and everything will be the same and he won't have been helped at all.  I know because it's happened three times before.  I just want my brother to get the proper care and treatment but I don't know how.  Is there a way to help him to stop this feces thing?  It hurts me to think that he wears diapers to school and then gets teased all day.  I want him to be happy.  Thanks for reading this long post.
Tags: PDD, autism/PDD-NOS, 15 years old, feces, playing
Poor boy, he has my sympathy, teasing and taunting can be very hard ..I think you should speak firmly to the school regarding this happeneing...Is he taking meds for his condition, as very often it is well cataloged that some meds so have side effects like you are describing so speak to your Doctor, and get help for him ..he is worth it..take him to a more caring hospital ...He sounds very upset and his home life isnt helping ..