Children - Special Needs Community
2 1/2 year old with developmental deley

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

2 1/2 year old with developmental deley

I have a 2 1/2 yr old the was dx with developmental deley with no known cause. He showed signs of autism as a baby but now has no signs. He is really obbsesive about where things go and how to do them. He didn't eat solids or walk until almost 18 months old. He doesn't talk much that is understandable but is doing better with speech therapy. He is in a special needs preschool already and has been reseving service for over a year now. I was just wondering if anyone seen signs of ocd in a toddler or if it's completly normal to have a child freak out over the smallest changes. If I even move one thing he has to put it back rightaway. He has minor hearing problems but is just below the norm. They say he's very delayed but I think it's something else getting in his way. He repeats everything anyone does or says and I mean everything. Thanks
Tags: 2 year old, Developmental, OCD
Hi Mandy (Sorry for the late response to your question)

I am the Community Leader over in the Genetics and Down syndrome Forums and I just happened to drop in to read some of the posts here.  My son has Down syndrome.  I was wondering, have you ever considered having your son tested for any genetic causes for the Developmental delay?  The things I think about are types of Genetic abnormalities that go unnoticed like a type of Down syndrome that is called Mosaic Down syndrome.  (It tends to go unnoticed until years later if ever because people with Mosaisism don't always have the same characteristics or features simply because the chromosomal problem isn't affected in every cell like the typical Down syndrome.  Thus the name Mosaic.)  Often times, chromosomal abnormalities can be partial ones, and the defining characteristics are lessened or minor and unnoticeable.  When you mention the delays in speech and hearing, these are just some of the more typical problems that go with syndromes like Down syndrome.
If you are like me and many, it helps just having some sort of answer for the concerns, and even with that, you may be able to get the appropriate therapies and also be able to watch out for other issues that may occur down the road, that otherwise you wouldn't have thought to.
I hope that this gives you an alternative idea to look into.  If you have already done this, (which you may likely have at this stage) I hope that you are able to get answers that you are looking for.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator