Children - Special Needs Community
2 year old doesnt talk
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

2 year old doesnt talk

I took my 2 year old daughter to get her checkup and the Dr said she is a very active child no signs of autism or any other problems but said she should be speaking by now so she referred me to a speech therapist. I am frustrated because I took her 2 months ago and expressed my concern about this and her Dr said she was fine. Now the Dr all of a sudden seems very concerned but I feel like this should have been started 2 months ago when I asked about it. I guess what I'm asking is are there ways to help her by myself along with the therapist to get her caught up?
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Let the speech therapist be your guide.  Kids are pretty variable, you might be told by the therapist that your daughter is not all that far behind.  I don't remember for sure, but I think my pediatrician was looking for my son to string maybe 5 words together at best, by the time of his 2-year checkup.  
Blank
1006035_tn?1391310794
She is pretty young, so I understand why the doctor wasn't worried. Just work with the speech therapist and carry over at home. Does she babble? My daughter is 6 and nonverbal, but she does have autism. Finding a way for her to communicate is key, even if it isn't through speech.
Blank
803938_tn?1403751853
If the pediatrician is really worried, a speech therapist is not enough. My son is 2.5 and has been with a developmental therapist since 2. He is very non verbal. The pediatrician was worried and referred us to a psychologist ( state program). At the first visit last week the psychologist diagnosed him with Asperger syndrome.

We are actually not surprised with the diagnostic.

Does your daughter go to daycare? How does she interact with other kids? My boy loves daycare and is interested in children but does not play well in groups. He also never says hi to anyone. And he does say good bye... Often once he is outside.

Is she interested in toys? My soon not too much. He prefers much better playing with the vacuum cleaner.

Does she understand commands? My boy obeys quite well, understands 2 languages, seems quite clever. But is fairly non verbal. Just starting to say a couple of sentences this month.

Have your child seen by a psychologist as a safety measure. Or wait to see what the therapist has to say.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Children - Special Needs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...