7 yr son, stares straight ahead, slows breathing, says head hurts after.
My son is 7 years old and we have no "name" for what's going on with his muscles and his behaviour.  I have a Doctor who is an autisic specialist who has described my son as the "most autisic, non-autisic child she has ever met." She had us get him check for Fragile X.  Everything came back fine.  But he has started doing something strange again lately.
My son has been having episodes where he blanks out, stares straight ahead, breathes really slowly and doesn't respond when his E.A. moves her hand in front of his eyes, if she talkes to him or even touches his shoulder.  After a few minutes he starts to blink and he will respond to her voice but still stares ahead, then a long moment later he will turn and look at her and talk to her like nothing happens.  Later he can tell me that he remembers her moving her hand in front of his eyes but his eyes felt cold - frozen and that his head hurt.  He is usually thirsty afterwards and has been known to appear exhausted before or after this type of episode but not both.

On the advice of the Principal we have had a CAT done and the results came back as normal.  At the beginning of the school year, there were weeks between episodes and during the winter they disappeared and now he's having them less than 24 hours apart for the last 2 days.  The E.A. says it looks like a cross between a stroke and a seizure (her husband has had both). Any suggestions?
He could be having absence seizures.  Has he had an EEG?

With a comment like "most autistic non-autistic child", I would also get him reevaluated for Autism.  He may have Asperger's or PDD-NOS.  I have 3/8 children on the Autistic Spectrum, and 2/8 that have absence seizures.
Hi.  The Principal wondered that because his brother has them and he's the one who asked us to go to the doctor.  I forgot to add in my original post that my son also had an EEG.  It came back fine.  He was also tested for Maple Syrup disease because at times his breath smells like Maple syrup but that came back normal too.

We say he's the most "normal" un-normal child around! LOL  If he has another episode today I'm taking him in to the Autism specialsit again.  Either way, I'm calling the regular ped dr. today when she opens.
Have you ever tried recording these episodes for a doctor to see?
No I haven't because they seem to only happen at school.  Our kids get out of school in a couple of weeks, here in Canada.